1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizing a wave packet - cannot understand the solution

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    This question is about normalizing a wave packet, this is actually the solution and I couldn't understand 2 points.

- I cannot see how the red encircled part do not diverge to infinity.

- And I cannot understand how the very last line is derived from the 2nd last one.

For the second one I tried to call i(po-px) as A and 1/(deltaX) B but that did not lead anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    For the red box
    e^{i \alpha x - \beta x} = e^{i \alpha x}e^{-\beta x}
    for x -> infinity: the first term oscillates between 1 and -1 (in accordance with euler's equation), but the second term approaches zero. So the whole thing approaches zero, and you're just left with the evaluation at x = 0.

And for the penultimate to ultimate lines, you just have to get a common denominator to combine the fractions; a bunch of stuff will cancel.... you multiply through by delta X / delta X
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook