1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizing Psi when it has no complex numbers

1. Aug 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to square the magnitude of psi for each of my integrals

2. Relevant equations

for x between 0 and a, [tex]\psi(x,0)[/tex] = A(x/a), where A and a are constants

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I take A(x/a) and square it since it is already positive. so [tex]A^2\ast(x^2/a^2)[/tex] . . but in the proof of my book, it makes use of the complex conjugate, which I am sure of how that fits for my particular psi function . . which makes me think that [tex]A^2\ast(x^2/a^2)[/tex] is not correct

so is [tex]|\psi|^2[/tex] = [tex]A^2\ast(x^2/a^2)[/tex] if [tex]\psi[/tex] = A(x/a)
    in this example?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The complex conjugate of a real function is the function itself.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3
    Hmm, so i am worrying over nothing. I am so new to this that I don't really understand why the wave function would have a complex number in it sometimes and other times not have it, since I don't even really know what reason a complex number is for in a wave function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook