1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizing the Momentum Eigenfunctions

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    I know that the momentum eigenfunctions are of the form [tex]\phi = Ce^{ikx}[/tex], but how would we normalize them? We just get

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} C^2 dx = 1[/tex]

which means that [tex]C[/tex] is infintesimally small...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed, so these wave-functions are non-normalizable. You either choose C = 0 and you have a trivial wave function, or you have a diverging integral.
  4. Jun 24, 2008 #3
    Well, see the thing is that there's this formula in my book which I have absolutely no idea as to how they got... here it is... could someone show a proof of this?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ix(k'-k)} dx = 2\pi \cdot \delta(k' - k)[/tex]

It makes absolutely no sense to me... if we have that [tex]k' \neq k[/tex], then

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ix(k'-k)} dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \cos [(k'-k) x] dx[/tex]

since sin is an odd function. But even this is a large step to claim... it's like saying that 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + ... = 0. But can we just say that cos is a sideways shift of sin, so we can just say that it evaluates to zero as well? Or do the limits mean that we take a value that approaches infinity and it always equals zero? I think I understand why the k'=k case works, however...delta(0) = infinity, which is also the lhs. Lastly, why does the 2 pi have to be on the RHS?
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?