Normalizing wave functions calculator issue

This may help in solving the integral. In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of plugging an integral into a calculator and the difficulty the speaker is having in solving it using a TI-89 and Voyage 200. They mention trying an example problem from their textbook and ask for help with solving it.
Galgenstrick
This is more of a calculator issue than the physics part. Below is just an example from my textbook. Our professor expects us to be able to plug an integral like this into our calculator to get the answer. although every problem I have tried like this just pops out another integral on the calculator. I am using a TI-89 and Voyage 200, both won't solve the integral. I am not sure if there is some setting I am missing to be able to do this. Can someone please try this out? Thanks!

Homework Statement

What is the value of A if if this wave function is normalized.

[tex]\psi[/tex] (x)=A*e [tex]^{-ax^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\psi[/tex] (x) [tex]^{2}[/tex] dx = 1 from -infinity to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is (2a/Pi)^(1/4). (this was an example problem in the textbook)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have much experience with the calculators you mentioned, but have you tried doubling the integral and integrating from zero to +infinity?

What is a normalizing wave function calculator?

A normalizing wave function calculator is a tool that calculates the normalization constant for a given wave function. This constant is used to ensure that the probability of finding a particle in a certain region is always equal to 1.

Why is it important to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle in any region is always a valid probability, between 0 and 1. This allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of quantum systems.

How does a normalizing wave function calculator work?

A normalizing wave function calculator uses mathematical algorithms to calculate the normalization constant for a given wave function. This involves integrating the square of the wave function over all space and then taking the square root of the result.

What types of wave functions can be normalized using a calculator?

A normalizing wave function calculator can be used for all types of wave functions, including simple one-dimensional functions and more complex, multi-dimensional functions. It can also be used for both continuous and discrete wave functions.

Are there any limitations to using a normalizing wave function calculator?

There are some limitations to using a normalizing wave function calculator. It may not work for extremely complex or non-analytic wave functions, and it may also produce inaccurate results if the wave function is not properly defined or if there are errors in inputting the function into the calculator.