1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normally distributed data errors

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello

If my data errors are normally distributed, is this the same as the data being normally distributed? I mean, by "normally distributed data errors" is meant that with 68% confidence the data lies within the true value?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Re: Statistics

You aren't expressing your question clearly. It isn't clear whether you have a set of measurements (such the heights of various persons) or a set of vectors of measurements (such as the height and weight of various persons). So it isn't clear what a "data error" would be.

For example, if we use the rather strange terminology that the average height h_bar of the population is the "true" height, then for a person's height h, we could call h - h_bar an "error". However, I don't think most people regard deviating from the average as an error.

If we have an equation H(.) that attempts to predict a persons height from their weight then for a given person with weight w and height h, we could call the quantity (h - H(w)) an "error" since it is an error in in how the equation predicts the weight.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. Sep 12, 2011 #3
    Re: Statistics

I think I get it. My original question got answered by your post, even though my question is poorly formulated.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook