Not sure if I really like those subjects

• Thread starter set
  • Start date
In summary: It sounds like you're not good at applying concepts to real world problems. Maybe it's best to try a different subject.
set
Hello,

I am currently a college freshman finishing up my second term. About an year ago, I was absolutely determined to study mathematics or physics in college and pursue graduate studies. I ended up choosing math, took intro analysis (analysis seems to be more appropriate due the content of this course rather than calculus) and intro algebra in my first term, and miserably suffered, especially in analysis.

I loved learning concepts of pure math, but when it came to applying those concept to assignment problems, well I thought I might end up in a mental institution.

Now I don't even know what I want to do. One moment I make up my mind to get a degree in other subjects like statistics, but it's not quite like I spend my free time to read first few pages of some math textbook.

SO in summary
I like math than any other subject. But I am not good at it. Should I still do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking both analysis and algebra as a freshman seems a bit daunting. Have you had exposure to more abstract math/proof writing before hand? Before analysis/algebra, I had taken an abstract linear algebra class (which surely helps in an abstract algebra class) and introduction to number theory class to help introduce me to abstract thought and proof writing techniques/methods. I ended up doing fine in both analysis and algebra but I don't know if I would have had the same success if I dove right into it as a freshman!

set said:
SO in summary
I like math than any other subject. But I am not good at it. Should I still do it?

No one is born good at anything. if you're really passionate about something that is challenging, you have two choices, give up or work harder. but if you find out it isn't your passion then don't be afraid to look for something else. but you need to give yourself the oppurtunity and time to improve and progress. even if you fail a class the first time doesn't mean you suck at it, some people need more time to learn. you haven't truly failed until you've quit.

maybe the two courses are too much for you to handle for a freshman like the above said.

These courses are designed for first year students, but somehow they constructed the reals in the first week and so on. A lot of people succeeded in these courses though.

The problem with me, I guess, is I ask for a lot of advice, get pumped to take a challenge, and then get miserably depressed by the rigor. lol...

set said:
These courses are designed for first year students, but somehow they constructed the reals in the first week and so on. A lot of people succeeded in these courses though.

The problem with me, I guess, is I ask for a lot of advice, get pumped to take a challenge, and then get miserably depressed by the rigor. lol...

You don't like the rigor?

Sorry, I meant the difficulty of the problems.

1. What should I do if I am not sure if I really like those subjects?

It is important to explore and try different subjects to find out what you are truly passionate about. Talk to your teachers, do some research, and take some classes to see if your interest grows.

2. How do I know if I am truly interested in a subject or if it's just a passing phase?

If you find yourself constantly thinking about the subject, wanting to learn more about it, and enjoying the process of studying and learning, then it is likely that you are truly interested in it. However, if your interest fades after a short period of time, it may just be a passing phase.

3. Can I still change my mind about my interests and subjects of study?

Absolutely! It is never too late to change your mind and pursue different subjects. Your interests and passions may change as you grow and learn more about yourself.

4. What if I am struggling in a subject that I thought I liked?

It is normal to struggle in subjects, even ones that you are genuinely interested in. Don't be discouraged and seek help from your teachers or peers. Sometimes, having a different perspective or studying approach can make a big difference.

5. Should I only pursue subjects that I am passionate about?

While it is important to study subjects that you are genuinely interested in, it is also important to have a well-rounded education. Some subjects may not initially spark your interest, but you may find that you enjoy them once you start learning more about them. Keep an open mind and try to find the value in all subjects.