Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure what square brackets indicate when dealing with partial derivates

1. Dec 12, 2012 #1
    Hi guys, attached is a picture of my problem and it is also underlined.

5zil9k.jpg

I've been reading through this theory and I just don't understand what the square brackets indicate.

I understand that ∇phi is the partial derivative with respect to the scalar function phi.

But what is ∇phi [r(t)] ?

I feel ashamed asking this like I'm going to be laughed at.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##\nabla\phi## is the the gradient of ##\phi##: it is read "grad phi" or "del phi".
    So it involved taking the partial derivative of phi with respect to each coordinate axis.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient

##\phi[\vec{r}(t)]## is just telling you that ##\phi## is a function of ##\vec{r}## which, in turn, is a function of ##t##. What they've done is parameterized the path represented by the C. Having turned ##\phi## into a function of just one variable, the gradient is much simplified.

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They are just using "[ ]" in place of "( )" because they are already using "( )" for the "[itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex]" and don't want to have "))". There is no difference in meaning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook