Not sure why this proof was marked wrong, can you?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the TA is instructing that a specific counterexample or a general statement can be used to prove that a claim is false. It is important to note that the counterexample should be a number that has been proven to be irrational, such as sqrt(2), and the proof should show that the result is rational. It is also important to carefully check the conditions of the definition of rational to avoid logical errors.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone I'm reviewing for the exam and I got 0 points on this proof and it seems like a nice exam question. So i want to make sure I have the correct proof to study.http://suprfile.com/src/1/3qa9hkk/lastscan.jpg
I don't see how this is wrong when he did a proof such as this one, in almost the same way as mine:

http://suprfile.com/src/1/3qaagxh/Untitled-1[/URL] copy.jpg[/PLAIN] Any help with correcting my above proof so I may study off it would be great!

Note: he did not correct these, the TA did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for replying while not providing an iota of information relative to your question but what does TA stands for?

quite alright, Teachers Assistant
Here was the grading instructions to the TA:

Grading instructions: An answer is worth 10 points if it gives a speci c counterexample, such as \ 0=p2 = 0,
which is rational." In such a counterexample, the numerator has to be zero, and the denominator has to be
a number that the textbook proved was irrational, such as p2. You may also count as correct an answer that
consists of a general statement such as, \If r = 0 then r=s = 0, and this is rational even when s is irrational."
Note: The idea here is that students who don't happen to think of the case r = 0 will start to write out a
proof that r=s is irrational, and will reach a point in the proof where the de nition of rational requires that the
denominator be a nonzero integer. At that point, it will not be possible to show that the denominator is nonzero
unless r is nonzero, which it doesn't have to be. That should cause students to realize that r could be zero, and
that, when r = 0, r=s is not irrational. So students should in the end come up with a counterexample even if
they did not think of one initially.
If a student writes a false \proof" that r=s has to be irrational, simply score the answer as zero points. (This can
happen when a student tries to prove a number is rational without bothering to verify the part of the de nition
that requires the denominator to be nonzero. Each proof in the textbook and in class that showed a number was
rational by using the de nition was careful to check this condition, so the mistake is probably not momentary
carelessness, but is more likely the result of someone not yet having learned to write proofs carefully enough to
avoid logical errors.)

mr_coffee said:
Grading instructions: An answer is worth 10 points if it gives a speci c counterexample, such as \ 0=p2 = 0,
which is rational." In such a counterexample, the numerator has to be zero, and the denominator has to be
a number that the textbook proved was irrational, such as p2. You may also count as correct an answer that
consists of a general statement such as, \If r = 0 then r=s = 0, and this is rational even when s is irrational."
Note: The idea here is that students who don't happen to think of the case r = 0 will start to write out a
proof that r=s is irrational, and will reach a point in the proof where the de nition of rational requires that the
denominator be a nonzero integer. At that point, it will not be possible to show that the denominator is nonzero
unless r is nonzero, which it doesn't have to be. That should cause students to realize that r could be zero, and
that, when r = 0, r=s is not irrational. So students should in the end come up with a counterexample even if
they did not think of one initially.
If a student writes a false \proof" that r=s has to be irrational, simply score the answer as zero points. (This can
happen when a student tries to prove a number is rational without bothering to verify the part of the de nition
that requires the denominator to be nonzero. Each proof in the textbook and in class that showed a number was
rational by using the de nition was careful to check this condition, so the mistake is probably not momentary
carelessness, but is more likely the result of someone not yet having learned to write proofs carefully enough to
avoid logical errors.)
This was more or less what I wanted to post. A simple counterexample to the claim, like 0/e=0 would have given you 10 points.
Such things are hard lessons we've all had to deal with. :wink:

How would I disprove with a counter example correctly so on an exam i get all points? Is it simply stating a counter example?

Proof by counter example:
0/sqrt(2) = 0, 0 is rational, sqrt(2) is irrational but the result is rational, which is rational therefore contradicts the claim.Or with a counter example, do i have to take the negation of the statement and do a proper proof? I don't see how this is possible if your just giving a simple counter example but I want to make sure.Thanks for the responce.

Last edited:
One counterexample is enough to disprove any claim. It IS a proper proof that the claim is false.

Read your TA's note on this. You can use a specific counterexample, like the one you posted with s=sqrt(2), but you must then have proven (from class or in the textbook) that sqrt(2) is indeed irrational. Or you can say 0/s=0 for ANY s(/=0), rational or irrational.

Galileo said:
One counterexample is enough to disprove any claim. It IS a proper proof that the claim is false.

Read your TA's note on this. You can use a specific counterexample, like the one you posted with s=sqrt(2), but you must then have proven (from class or in the textbook) that sqrt(2) is indeed irrational. Or you can say 0/s=0 for ANY s(/=0), rational or irrational.

Yeah, but you should be able to prove that it is irrational if r is in the set Q/{0}.

The proof you wrote was long for something so trivial.

You even wrote if s=/=0, when s is irrational. How can s=0 and be irrational?

yeah your right...im not sure what other example I would use other than 0. Becuase in the TA's grading notes it says, They must use 0 as the numerator, and they must use sqrt(2) because the textbook proved sqrt(2) is irrational, I'm not sure why he is making us use 0 as the numerator but he is. \

Thanks for the responces!

The point is that 0/s is the only case in which r/s is rational with s irrational.

You can prove (in fact, you basically did) : if s is irrational and r is a non-zero rational number then r/s is irrational: Suppose, to the contrary, x= r/s is rational. Then sx= r and since s is non-zero, we can divide by it, so s= r/x. But the rational numbers are closed under division (dividing by a non-zero number, of course), contradicting the fact that s is irrational/

ahhh thanks for the clarification Ivy!
i get it now!

1. Why was my proof marked wrong?

There could be several reasons why your proof was marked wrong. It could be due to a mistake in your logic, a miscalculation, or missing information. It is important to carefully review your proof and identify any errors.

2. Can you provide feedback on my proof?

Yes, as a scientist, I am trained to provide constructive feedback on scientific proofs. I can review your proof and offer suggestions for improvement or clarification.

3. Is there a specific format I should follow for my proof?

It depends on the specific field of science you are working in. Generally, proofs should be clear, concise, and follow a logical structure. It is important to consult with your mentor or refer to guidelines in your field for specific formatting requirements.

4. How can I improve my proof writing skills?

Practice makes perfect! Writing proofs is a skill that takes time and practice to develop. It is important to read and study other well-written proofs to gain a better understanding of the structure and logic required. Additionally, seeking feedback from others can also help improve your proof writing skills.

5. Is it common for proofs to be marked wrong?

Yes, it is common for proofs to be marked wrong, especially during the learning process. As scientists, we are constantly learning and refining our skills. It is important to take constructive criticism and use it to improve your future proofs.