1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact Equation, reviewing for an exam, did I do this one right?

1. Feb 26, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone, its exam time so i'm just reviewing all the different techniques for Diff EQ and i hit an exact diff EQ problem and i was just wondering if someone can check to see if i did it right. HEre it is:
    Directions are find a relationships between x and y of the form f(x,y) = c.
    [​IMG]

Thanks! :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, except for the line [itex]\Psi(x,y) = \int Mdx[/itex] which should read [itex]\Psi(x,y) = \int Mdx + h(y)[/itex], it's good. But in an exam, you might want to explain what and why you do these things more.

4. Feb 26, 2006 #3
    Awesome thanks quasar

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On the contrary, a lot of what you have written is non-sense!

You are correct that, with [itex]\Phi_x[/itex]= 3x2-2xy+ 2, you must have [itex]\Phi[/itex]= x3- x2y+ 2x+ h(y). The derivative of that, with respect to y is -x2+ h'(y)
    and, of course, that must equal N which is 6y2- x2+ 3, not 6y2- x3+ 3!!!

You should have seen that you copied that incorrectly: you have
    -x2+ h'(y)= 6y2- x3+ 3 and then h'(y)= 6y2- x3+ x2+ 3 which is impossible: h is a function of y only!

Writing it correctly, -x2+ h'(y)= 6y2- x2+ 3, h'(y)= 6y2+ 3. The x2 terms cancel which has to happen- that's the whole point of the differential being exact!

With h'(y)= 6y2+ 3, h(y)= 2y3+ 3y and the general solution to the differential equation is
    x3- x2y+ 2x+ 2y3+ 3y= Constant.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. Feb 27, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:eek: I didn't noticed h(y) had x terms in it!

mr_coffee, like HallsofIvy said, h(y) has to be a function of y. Why? Because if in fact there exists a function [itex]\psi(x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]\partial \psi / \partial x = M[/itex] and such that [itex]\psi(x,y) = \int Mdx + h[/itex], it must be that h is a function of y only because it it were a function of x too, differentiation of that last equation would give [itex]\partial \psi / \partial x = M + \partial h(x,y) / \partial x \neq M[/itex] which contradicts the first equation.

So verifying that h is a function of y only is always a good way to check if you've made some mistakes along the way.

7. Feb 27, 2006 #6
    Ahh thanks guys!
    Here i redid it, i think its right now:
    [​IMG]

8. Feb 28, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?