Not that I'd do anything illegal, but hypothetically

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, there are several anonymous p2p networks that are better substitutes for Napster. Kazaa is one of the better networks, but there are some limitations. There are also safety features built into the network that protect users from the RIAA.
Mr. Robin Parsons said:
differences between a photocopier that can make one copy at a time and costs money, and a computer that can instantly reproduce millions of copies, for free,

The cost is comparable. A VHS tape is about $1.50 last time I checked. My 120,000,000kB hard drive cost me $171 (after tax) and a most movies are about 715,000kB. That's about 168 movies per hard drive, which makes the storage cost $1.02 per movie.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Robin Parsons said:
PS as for the Judges descision, apparently the differences between a photocopier that can make one copy at a time and costs money, and a computer that can instantly reproduce millions of copies, for free, well, welcome to the age of knowledge...
So the issue of the Judges decision is interesting, inasmuch as the Judge is Right in what was decided, cause it is in accordance with Canadian law, as you are allowed to make a copy for your own personal use, so the photocopier in the library and the computer on the net have equvalence in that respect, so actually what the judge provides to us is the principals of actions and activity in a democracy, as in having upheld the Law "As it is Written", if it is deemed to be damaging to society, then the Legislators (House of Commons in Canada) are meant to write New Law, amend the existing Law, correct whatever is seen as deficeit, (if deficiencies are even seen) and hence we have the function of democracy...not radical Judges setting public agendas, but a Goverment that, well, right now, in Canada, they seem to be going into "election mode" which means now NOTHING is going to happen to anything that is actually on The Countries Agenda and the Media*, (who will not report on a single one of the Planetary Firsts that I have, by the Grace of God, been able to accomplish) will be full of nothing but the rhetoric of politicking, sooooo not much new here, you?

*Respectively speaking, at some point in all of this it becomes obvious enough to the rest of you (to me that has been for a looong time, now) that it is the "Media" in the entirety of North America that becomes Faultable...because well they know (a little Bit{?}) about me, too...

BTW...Psssssst! What I had pointed out is how easy it is to commit a crime, not that a crime had taken place, But I can reasonably assure you that the Judge knew that one...fool any of you?

(Yup!? :cool: )

ShawnD said:
The cost is comparable. A VHS tape is about $1.50 last time I checked. My 120,000,000kB hard drive cost me $171 (after tax) and a most movies are about 715,000kB. That's about 168 movies per hard drive, which makes the storage cost $1.02 per movie.
Yup, and buy discs, (CD's) throws those costs out the window a little doesn't it?

Last edited:
Most movies don't even fit on CDs. That throws your theory out the window.

From the New York Times:

"The bulk of the EMI job losses stem from the outsourcing of compact disc and DVD manufacturing."

I guess that throws away the theory that file sharing has forced EMI to dump loads of employees.

Usenet. No comparison. None.

- Warren

chroot said:
Usenet. No comparison. None.

Yeah, but it is a pain to queue up 100 files, especially if the posts alternate

Is it? Not if you use a real provider, like easynews.com.

- Warren

ShawnD said:
Most movies don't even fit on CDs. That throws your theory out the window.
HUH? DVD's what are they?

dduardo said:
From the New York Times:
"The bulk of the EMI job losses stem from the outsourcing of compact disc and DVD manufacturing."
I guess that throws away the theory that file sharing has forced EMI to dump loads of employees.
Not entirely, as the search for a lessor cost is indicative of a business under financial pressure...and the future consequences of this is, are, as yet, unwritten/unknown...

ShawnD said:

My movies are 2-4.7 GB, so even more expensive than you are thinking.

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
Yes, legal now in Canada, and EMI is apparently either about to, (or has already) lay off (Pink slips, and we do not mean 'car registrations') about 1500 PEOPLE...

Could that possibly be due to the world wide recession? Perhaps file sharing is what caused the tech bubble to pop, the market to crash, and the dollar to decline! :eek:

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
Yup, and buy discs, (CD's) throws those costs out the window a little doesn't it?

ShawnD said:
Most movies don't even fit on CDs.

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
HUH? DVD's what are they?

You said CDs, so I answered your post. Now you make a rude comment like that. What is your problem?

phatmonkey said:
My movies are 2-4.7 GB, so even more expensive than you are thinking.
My videos are all about 700MB. All video names are removed for obvious reasons :wink:

http://myfiles.dyndns.org/pictures/videos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Robin Parsons said:

Not in Canada - the cost of blank media there includes a fee that is implemented specifically for the potential of pirating. That money is then redistributed to the manufacturers. So, while the CD may be cheaper than the VHS at the store, the profit may be greater (which is all that matters when we are talking about the coporations being victimized) as well as an added fee that goes directly to them.

ShawnD: A full DVD rip is about 4GB.

- Warren

ShawnD said:
(SNIP)You said CDs, so I answered your post. Now you make a rude comment like that. What is your problem? (SNoP)
Nothing! it is/was a question NOT a comment, so what is your problem? aside from one CD will hold 700MB least the ones I can get will...and I had/have (they moved) a friend who had "lots of movies" (on CD's!) so knowing a little about what I am talking about seemed to me to help...

I was watching Tech TV the other day and they said something about a new report that came out. Apparently file sharing of songs hasn't really translated into loss of revenue. The lesser known artists actually got a boost to sales because of the sharing and the popular artists only lost something like 1 sale for every 1000 or 10000 or 100000 downloads(I don't remember the exact number they gave.) and when you take into account the larger fan base an artist sees and the larger concert crowds, they are not hurt by the file sharing at all.

So the lessor known artist made money too, or nothing? ("gave it all away")

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
So the lessor known artist made money too, or nothing? ("gave it all away")
lesser known artists became better known artists and subsequently sold more albums and made more money.

Cool :cool: good great, hope it all works out, but the industry is changing, and computers are a part of that sooooooo.....PS...I Too have listened to "shared music" sounds the same as the rest!

The internet is a great place to advertise. I've seen a few sites where bands have entire an entire CD available for downloading.

Is there any good shareware/freeware program to speed up the downloads from Kazaa? Thanks

I've installed Kazaa Lite. It's much better than Kazaa. Thanks ShawnD

Mr Robin Parsons, if u don't like watching or purchasing pirated or shared movie files then that's your calling. it's another thing to impose what u want on people who want to spend less on movies. Not everyone has the capacity to buy expensive, original copies especially people from where I live (I'm from a third world country).

Piracy doesn't hurt the executives behind big shot movie enterprises. It only hurts indie filmmakers and indie bands because they belong to those who are closest to the level of production ergo they have little or limited funds with which to promote their music or movie. You said in your earlier threads that unless you see a statement backed by values that depict throrough research, you will treat anybody's claims as hogwash (which is to paraphrase you, to say the least). Where is YOUR research? I don't see telltale economic signs of the times that big time movie industries ARE INDEED CRASHING. Piracy only hurts most of us who belong to what BIG INDUSTRIES call the little people (a.k.a. indies). Where are your figures, Parsons?

patrick

P2P doesn't have any textbook downloads

:mad: I have been trying to download grifith's ,landau,shanker's,cohen's QM textbooks.I have tried emule,bearshare,shareaza.Only emule with highest speed came to ---B/s while my net connection is 12KB/s. :yuck:

Musicians used to be poor back in the day.

Why can't they be poor again? :(

Go to a used book store for science books. No one buys them, and they are cheap. I'm talking as low as $5.

I will not download any books illegally but hypothetically i could have downloaded shankar's and cohen's .Emule ROCKS! :wink: :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have become adicted to DC++. i have 25 GB of data in my hard disk, so i can access to many interesting hubs