1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation for separation of variables

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    My book has a problem that requires you to separate variables (one side has all the y terms and one side has all of the x terms):

Equation after separation of variables:

My question is, how do you know that the y' is contained within the sine function or out of it? Are the derivatives always written after and outside of the preceding function?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no way to know for certain what is in the sin and what is not, and I am often wondering myself. But often, it is clear from context. In your case for instance, if the y' were in the sin, the equation would not be separable.
  4. Jan 29, 2008 #3

The parentheses makes all the difference. It really shouldn't matter on which side the derivative is written. It would be a bad book, if no such unambiguous distinction is made, in my opinion. But looking at the example you provided, it appears that they went you to assume that it's a product of function of x and the derivative of y, unless it's stated as [itex]\sin{\left(xy'\right)}[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?