1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation for Velocity Gradient

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    This is not a problem statement this is not homework this is not a textbook exercise. This is my own question about a formula in a textbook.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to understand the way that equation 4.2.2 is rewritten as equation 4.2.3

2. Relevant equations

8VDbY.jpg
    Source: Stanley Middleman

3. The attempt at a solution

My confusion is with the 1/2 and the subscripts used.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4.2.2. is NOT rewritten as 4.2.3. On the contrary, 4.2.3. is just an expression for the velocity gradient, a new thing that has been just introduced in the preceding description.

As for the factors of 1/2: just *expand* the stuff in parentheses on the right-hand side out, and you'll see that it is equal to the stuff on the left-hand side.

What, specifically, about the subscripts is confusing you? Basically both indices i and j can take on any of the values [1,2,3]. So you can think of 4.2.3 as a compact way of writing a whole SET of equations, one for each value of i and j.

4. Jul 7, 2012 #3
    cepheid, yes of course-my mistake.

I would like to try to list these 9 equations to make sure I understand the notation.

SOrry, I dont have time to learn latex at the moment, but are the nine equations like this?:

equation 1: i = 1 j = 1
    equation 2: i = 1 j = 2
    equation 3: i = 1 j = 3
    equation 4: i = 2 j = 1
    equation 5: i = 2 j = 2
    equation 6: i = 2 j = 3
    equation 7: i = 3 j = 1
    equation 8: i = 3 j = 2
    equation 9: i = 3 j = 3

5. Jul 7, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, that looks about right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook