Why is the gradient of a V-I graph equal to resistance for ohmic materials?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cici2017
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph Resistance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Cici2017

Homework Statement


Is the resistance equal to V/I at any point, or is it the gradient at that point? And Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


shouldn't it be the gradient? because it is change in V over change in I?

Thanks~
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cici2017 said:
shouldn't it be the gradient? because it is change in V over change in I?
Yes, it's the gradient. But for ohmic materials (linear resistances), the gradient is same as V/I.
Can you say why?
 
cnh1995 said:
Yes, it's the gradient. But for ohmic materials (linear resistances), the gradient is same as V/I.
Can you say why?
Yes =) Thanks for making it clear :blushing: