1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Notation in Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds

1. Aug 31, 2016 #1
    I have a question regarding the usage of notation on problem 2-11.

Find ##f'(x, y)## where ## f(x,y) = \int ^{x + y} _{a} g = [h \circ (\pi _1 + \pi _2 )] (x, y)## where ##h = \int ^t _a g## and ##g : R \rightarrow R##

Since no differential is given, what exactly are we integrating with respect to?

This looks like a composition of ##h## with some sort of identity operator matrix multiplied by ##(x,y)##, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. I've never this notation used anywhere else.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2016 #2
    ##g## is a single variable function, so this is an ordinary single variable integral. The name of the single variable of integration is not relevant to the problem: you can use any name you like.
    The three notations ##\int_1^2 g##, ##\int_1^2 g(t) \, dt##, and ##\int_1^2 g(x)\, dx## all refer to exactly the same computation and the same number, if the definite integral exists.
    ##\pi_1## and ##\pi_2## are the first and second coordinate projection functions. In particular, ##\pi_1(x, y) = x## and ##\pi_2(x, y) = y##.
    The notation ##[h\circ (\pi_1 + \pi_2)](x, y)## is not meant to be multiplication. It is meant to be functional notation, in the same way that ##f(x)## means that value of the function ##f## when the input is ##x##, not ##f## multiplied by ##x##. In your case, this is the function ##h\circ (\pi_1 + \pi_2)## applied to the input ##(x, y)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted