Understanding Integration on an Orientable Manifold

In summary, the integration of an m-form over an m-dimensional sub-manifold is defined using coordinates and tangent vectors. In this specific case, the integral is defined as the product of the function and another function on the manifold. The transformation of the wedge product into simple multiplication is a result of using the same coordinates for the integral and the basis.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading how to integrate on an orientable manifold. So we have ##f:M \to R## and an m-form (m is the dimension of M): ##\omega = h(p)dx^1 \wedge ... \wedge dx^m##, where ##h(p)## is another function on the manifold which is always positive as the manifold is orientable. The way integral is defined is like this: ##\int_{U_i} f\omega = \int_{\phi(U_i)}f(\phi^{-1}(x))h(\phi^{-1}(x))dx^1...dx^m##, where ##U_i## are the coordinate neighborhoods and ##\phi## is the mapping from M to ##R^m##. The definition makes sense, intuitively, by making an analogy with the surface or volume integrals. However I am not sure formally, how did the wedge product of ##\omega##, transformed into simple multiplication. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, the integration of an ##r##-form ##\omega## over an ##r##-dimensional sub-manifold parametrised by coordinates ##t_1, \ldots t_r## on the sub-manifold is defined as
$$
\int \omega = \int \omega(\dot \gamma_1, \ldots, \dot \gamma_r) dt_1 \ldots dt_r,
$$
where ##\dot\gamma_i## are the tangent vectors of the corresponding coordinate lines. In your case, you use the coordinates ##x^i## for the integral as well as for the basis and therefore by the definition
$$
\int f\omega = \int f(\phi^{-1}(x))h(\phi^{-1}(x)) [dx^1\wedge\ldots \wedge dx^m](\partial_1,\ldots, \partial_m) dx^1 \ldots dx^m
$$
where we have used that the tangent vector of the coordinate line of ##x^i## is just ##\partial_i##. Now, it holds that ##[dx^1\wedge\ldots \wedge dx^m](\partial_1,\ldots, \partial_m) = 1## and from there you obtain your sought result.

Likes phoenix95

What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that describes a space that locally resembles Euclidean space, meaning it can be smoothly and continuously mapped to a small neighborhood in Euclidean space.

What does integration of a manifold mean?

Integration of a manifold refers to the process of calculating the area, volume, or higher-dimensional analogues within a manifold. It involves breaking the manifold into smaller pieces and summing up their contributions to the total value.

What is the importance of integrating a manifold?

Integrating a manifold allows us to calculate properties such as area and volume for non-Euclidean spaces, which are not easily defined using traditional geometry. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where manifolds are used to model complex systems.

What is the difference between integration of a manifold and integration in traditional calculus?

In traditional calculus, integration is performed on a single variable and represents the area under a curve. In the case of integration of a manifold, the manifold may have multiple dimensions, and the integration takes place over the entire space, not just a single variable.

What are some techniques for integrating a manifold?

There are several techniques for integrating a manifold, including Riemann sums, Simpson's rule, and Monte Carlo integration. These methods involve breaking the manifold into smaller pieces and using numerical approximations to calculate the total value.