Notation of a Parametric Derivative

In summary: At the very least, the inner dx/dt would have to be in parentheses. In summary, the question is about representing the derivative of dy/dx using the notation d^2y/dxdt in LaTeX. This notation may not be correct, as it involves mixed total derivatives, and is not a common notation.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Now first, as I'm sure you all know, for any two parametric equations x(t) and y(t), the slope of the curve thus generated is equal to the quotient (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Also, we know that the concavity of the function (or change of slope, as I'm not sure if concavity is actually a correct term) is equal to the quotient (dy'/dt)/(dx/dt), where y'=dy/dx=(dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Now to my question... Is it allowed to represent dy'/dt as... I'll switch to latex now to make sure it comes out right...

[tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx dt}[/tex]

...this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
Now first, as I'm sure you all know, for any two parametric equations x(t) and y(t), the slope of the curve thus generated is equal to the quotient (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Also, we know that the concavity of the function (or change of slope, as I'm not sure if concavity is actually a correct term) is equal to the quotient (dy'/dt)/(dx/dt), where y'=dy/dx=(dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Now to my question... Is it allowed to represent dy'/dt as... I'll switch to latex now to make sure it comes out right...

[tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx dt}[/tex]

...this?
I'll take a stab at what I think you're trying to say.

You have a curve defined by the parametric equation x = x(t) and y = y(t). Assuming that these functions are differentiable, we can talk about
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

Then
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dx}\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}\right) \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Mark44 said:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}\right) \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Actually, I think, by the chain rule, it should be

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}\right) \frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

Actually, I'm just wondering if d/dt(dy/dx) can be represented by the notation in the OP in laTEX. It seems like an odd notation, with mixed total derivatives or something.

AFAIK, no. For partials, yes, but I don't recall ever seeing ordinary derivatives stacked up like that.

1. What is the notation used for a parametric derivative?

The notation used for a parametric derivative is dy/dx or y'.

2. How is the parametric derivative calculated?

The parametric derivative is calculated using the chain rule, where the derivative of the dependent variable (y) with respect to the independent variable (x) is multiplied by the derivative of the independent variable with respect to the parameter (t).

3. Can the parametric derivative be calculated for any parametric curve?

Yes, the parametric derivative can be calculated for any parametric curve, as long as the curve is differentiable and the derivatives of both variables with respect to the parameter exist.

4. What is the significance of the parametric derivative in mathematics?

The parametric derivative allows us to find the rate of change of a parametric curve at a specific point, and is therefore useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How is the parametric derivative related to the slope of a curve?

The parametric derivative represents the slope of a curve at a specific point, as it measures the rate of change of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. This is similar to the slope of a curve in Cartesian coordinates, which represents the rate of change of y with respect to x.