1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation within homework question

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moving along the x-axis is subject to a conservative force such that the potential energy of the particle is given by U(x,y)=2x + x^3 where x and y are in meters, U is in joules. When the particle moves from (2,0) to the origin, the work done by the conservatice force is:
    A) b) c) d) (the choices don't matter... I have the right value, wrong sign)

2. Relevant equations

delta(U) = change in potential energy.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, my real question here is: What does this notation U(x,y) really mean?

And I checked the solution for this problem, and it says U(initial) - U(final)...... Why is this? Since when is the change in a value equal to initial - final ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The notation U(x, y) is used to indicate that U is a function of two variables, x and y. The formula you show, however, is a function of x alone.
    Is there a typo in this formula? Should it be U(x, y) = 2x + y^3?

4. Nov 14, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi mike_302! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Change in potential energy = minus the work done

ie ∆PE = -W

so the work done will be -∆PE = Uinitial - Ufinal

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4
    Okay, I completely see why it's Ui-Uf now but that U(x,y) notation seems messed up because there's no typo :P That's how it is written, and I get the answer using JUST x, so I guess it should've said U(x)= ....

Oh well!

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, because potential is a function of position, and has to be defined at every position …

for example gravitational potential is U(x,y,z) = -gz. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook