1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a conservative force

1. Aug 22, 2015 #1

Titan97

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential energy ##U## of a particle of mass 1kg moving in x-y plane obeys the law ##U=3x+4y##. x and y are in meters. If the particle is at rest at (6,8) at time t=0, then find the work done by conservative force on the particle from initial position to the instant when it crosses the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec F=-\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial U}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial U}{\partial z}##
    (This equation is not taken from any book. I thought the relation between F and U was just like the relation between electric field and potential)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the equation: ##F=-3\hat i-4\hat j##
    Since no other forces are acting, the particle will move in the direction of acceleration. I also have to find the x-coordinate when it crosses x-axis. Acceleration is at an angle ##\tan^{-1}\big(\frac{4}{3}\big)## with the horizontal towards the 3rd quadrant. Hence the particle moves along the line ##y=\frac{4}{3}(x-6)+8##.
    So the x intercept is 0. Hence the total distance moved by the particle is 10m. And work done is 50J.
    Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is. A lot of work done by you. The work done by the field can also be compared to the difference U(6,8) - U(0,0). Could that be a concidence or is there more to that ? :rolleyes:

4. Aug 22, 2015 #3

Titan97

Gold Member

Work done by conservative force is path independent. But I still need to do "work" to find the final position :smile:. Or is there another way to solve the problem without having to find the final position?

5. Aug 22, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Force always points at (0,0) !

6. Aug 22, 2015 #5

Titan97

Gold Member

Why should it always point at (0,0)? Is it because the force is conservative?

7. Aug 22, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, but starting at (6,8) there is no component other than in the direction of (0,0)

8. Aug 22, 2015 #7

Titan97

Gold Member

I dont understand that. Is it because the minimum magnitude of potential energy is at (0,0)? Since a particle tends to reach minimum potential energy. If thats the case, then is it true for ##U=2x^2+1##? Since force points at (0,1).

9. Aug 22, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Potential energy is a scalar. It has a value. Vectors have a magnitude. Unfortunately daily language mixes them up.

Lines of constant U are straight lines for ##
    U=3x+4y##. Constant U means no force component along that line. The force points perpendicular to those equipotential lines, so once on a line through the origin means following a straight path through the origin if starting from x > 0 and away from the origin when starting from x ##\le## 0.

For ##
    U=x^2+1## lines of constant U are straight lines also. The force always points towards the y axis, not at 0,1 !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted