Solving Homework Equations: C = c + 4

• Thread starter goonking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: So we can use the constant A to get to any function in the space generated by ##Ae^{2t}##.In summary, in this conversation, we discussed a problem involving a pair of equations and solutions. We learned that the first equation has an infinite number of solutions, while the second equation also has an infinite number of solutions, including the vectors <3, 0>, <5, 1>, and so on. We also discussed how this ties into differential equations and how the general solution is made up of complementary and particular solutions. Finally, we learned how to use the constant A to get to any function in the space generated by ##Ae^{2t}##.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2016-6-12_20-19-34.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answers are in green, and I have no idea how to complete the last part. What is happening?
what does C = c + 4 mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
goonking said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 101989

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answers are in green, and I have no idea how to complete the last part. What is happening?
what does C = c + 4 mean?
Any pair of numbers (c, c/2) is a solution to the equation u - 2v = 0.
This can also be written as c(1, 1/2), with c being an arbitrary constant.
For the equation u - 2v = 3, (7, 2) is a solution, but (7, 2) + c(1, 1/2) is also a solution, for any choice of c. For example, you can verify that if c = 2, (7, 2) + 2(1, 1/2) is a solution. If c = 4, you can verify that (7, 2) + 4(1, 1/2) is a solution.

I'm not sure what you're asking in your last question, but C (upper case) and c (lower case) are different numbers.

Ok, so it means the difference between the two numbers is 4?

so then it should be (3 , -2) + C(1, 1/2) ?

goonking said:
Ok, so it means the difference between the two numbers is 4?

Does it work? IOW, does it satisfy u - 2v = 3?

oh, i understand now, its (3, 0)
because 3 - 2(0) = 3

to solve for the last fill in, the best way is to just plug and chug?

so it should be C(1, 1/2)

What do you get for the last part of the question? In other words what numbers go in the blank spots?
(3, _ ) + C(1, _ )

Your answer has to satisfy u - 2v = 3

(3,0) + C(1, 1/2)

goonking said:
(3,0) + C(1, 1/2)
Sure, that works.

Earlier you said this:
goonking said:
I asked you whether your answer satisfied u - 2v = 3. Do you understand why it does or does not?

Mark44 said:
Earlier you said this:
I asked you whether your answer satisfied u - 2v = 3. Do you understand why it does or does not?
yes, this is much easier than the Yn and Yp stuff. I just need to connect the pieces to the puzzle.

goonking said:
yes, this is much easier than the Yn and Yp stuff. I just need to connect the pieces to the puzzle.
This problem is a simplified version of the business with a complementary solution and a particular solution. It helps to think in terms of vectors.

This problem has two equations (I have replaced u and v by x and y, respectively, in hopes that it will make things easier to understand):
x - 2y = 0 -- the homogeneous equation
x - 2y = 3 -- the nonhomogeneous equation

The first equation has an infinite number of solutions -- vectors of the form C<1, 1/2>; i.e., any constant multiple of the vector <1, 1/2>. As long as the first coordinate is two times the second coordinate, the vector is a solution to the homogeneous equation. Or, to put in another way, the point (C, C/2) is on the line whose equation is x - 2y = 0, or equivalently, y = (1/2)x.

The second equation also has an infinite number of solutions. Among them are the vectors <3, 0>, <5, 1>, and so on (or the points (3, 0), (5, 1), and so on). You can pick anyone of these as a particular solution -- say, <3, 0>

To get to any point on the line x = 2y + 3, you can go from the origin to <3, 0> and then along the line in the proper direction. To get to, say, (7, 2), go to right right from the origin to (3, 0), and then go along the vector from (3, 0) to (7, 2) by the appropriate multiple of <1, 1/2>. In terms of vectors, <7, 2> = <3, 0> + 4<1, 1/2>.

To get to an arbitrary point on the line x = 2y + 3, it's possible to solve for the constant C that does the trick, so that <x, y> = <3, 0> + C<1, 1/2> for an appropriate value of C.

This all ties into differential equations, with this pair as an example:
y' - 2y = 0 (homogeneous)
y' - 2y = 3 (nonhomogeneous)

The solutions to the homogeneous equation (the complementary solutions) are yc(t) = Ae2t, where A is an arbitrary constant.
A solution to the nonhomogeneous equation (a particular solution) is yp(t) = -3/2, which I got by an educated guess.

The general solution to the nonhomogeneous equation is made up of the complementary solutions, plus the particular solution:
y(t) = yp(t) + yc(t) = -3/2 + Ae2t

Because yc(t) is a solution to the homogeneous equation, it must be true that yc' - 2yc = 0, so adding it to the general solution doesn't change the right side of the equation.

##\frac{d}{dt}(y_c(t) + y_p(t)) - 2(y_c(t) + y_p(t) = \frac{d}{dt}(Ae^{2t} - \frac 3 2) - 2(Ae^{2t} - \frac 3 2} = 2Ae^{2t} - 0 - 2Ae^{2t} + 3 = 3##

Thinking about this in terms of vectors, the particular solution gets us up to the space (of functions) that is generated by ##Ae^{2t}##, and the constant A gets us to a particular function in that space.

1. What does the equation C = c + 4 mean?

The equation C = c + 4 is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between two variables. The variable C stands for a larger quantity, while c represents a smaller quantity. The equation states that the larger quantity, C, is equal to the smaller quantity, c, plus 4.

2. How do I solve for C in the equation C = c + 4?

To solve for C in this equation, you can simply subtract 4 from both sides. This will result in C = c. This means that the value of C is equal to the value of c.

3. Can I rearrange the equation C = c + 4 to solve for c?

Yes, you can rearrange the equation to solve for c. To do this, you can subtract c from both sides, which will result in C - c = 4. This means that the value of c is equal to the value of C minus 4.

4. How do I substitute values into the equation C = c + 4?

To substitute values into this equation, you can simply replace the variables C and c with the given values. For example, if C = 10 and c = 6, the equation would become 10 = 6 + 4. This can then be solved to find the value of either C or c.

5. Can I use this equation to solve real-world problems?

Yes, you can use this equation to solve real-world problems that involve two quantities that are related by a difference of 4. For example, if you are given the total number of students in a class (C) and the number of girls (c), you can use this equation to find the number of boys in the class by subtracting 4 from the total number of students.