Number and energy of cyclones and anticyclones

1. How many cyclones and anticyclones are there in the northern hemisphere compared to the southern hemisphere, on a typical day of the year.Is the energy of cyclones/anticyclones in the north greater than the energy of the cyclones/anticylones in the south? How do the numbers of cyclones/anticyclones vary over a period of decades?

2. jcsd
    Earth sciences news on Phys.org
  3. jamalmunshi

jamalmunshi 8
    Gold Member

This is a really great question but it is such a vast question that it would be difficult for anyone to post a comprehensive response. Perhaps a collection of regional responses may eventually add up to sufficient data for you to see the kind if pattern that you are looking for. Most tropical cyclone activity consist of (1) the Atlantic hurrianes, (2) the Pacific typhoons, (3) the Australian cyclones, and (4) the Indian Ocean cyclones. I can contribute some information about the Indian Ocean where there are two cyclone seasons that peak in May and October. I did a study of total cyclone intensity in the Indian Ocean for the period 1998-2014 and found no statistically significant trends although I did find a very sigfinficant amount of cyclone energy consistent with high sea surface temperature and favorable wind patterns throughout the period except for a couple of quiet years including the very quiet 2012 seasons - both May and October. I posted my findings online and would be grateful for your comments if any.
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2586947

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted