1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number if rational iff it has periodic decimal expansion

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1
    My teacher gave us as excercices this:
    I'm pretty certain you have to prove it by contradiction, but I don't get how to represent to periodic decimal expension in a proof?

Any hint is welcome, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

First, to show that rational => repeating decimal expansion, remember that long division is how you get from a rational number to its decimal expansion. If r=a/b, then there are only b possible remainders at each step. What happens when the same remainder comes up a second time (after you've gone through all the digits in a)? I'll let you work on the other direction.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  4. Sep 16, 2006 #3
    Ok well I guess my intuition was bad. I made a few search on books.google.com and found a couple of proofs. One is pretty easy and I actually though of that solutions before but didn't know how to generalise it. My only problem now is that I'm not familiar with one notation in the proofs.

I don't understand the reprensetation of the period, so in this image the first line where it says x= a_n ...

[​IMG]

5. Sep 16, 2006 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

each ai is a non repeating digit of the number; each ci is a digit of the repeating part of the number. So, for example

a0 = 1
    a-1 = 1
    a-2 = 2

c1 = 3
    c2 = 4

m=2

6. Sep 16, 2006 #5
    Thanks... that was kinda easy but I guess you just need to know it. Btw good job, this forum is a great ressource :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?