1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of Different resonances in a closed Box

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the possible resonance frequencies in a 3D box with side a are constant multiples of ##(l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2}##, where l, m and n are integers. Assume that the box with sides a is filled with a gas in which the speed of sound is constant. Hence show that the number of different resonancec frequencies less than v is ##\approx \frac{4\pi a^3 v^3}{9\sqrt{3}c^3}##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##c = \frac{\omega}{k}##
    ##f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the first part by assuming that the variables could be decoupled and that the waveequation is on the form: ##\Psi(x,y,z,t) = X(x) Y(y) Z(z) cos(\omega t)## where ##X(x) = A_xcos(k_xx) + B_xsin(k_xx)## and equally for Y and Z. Using the boundary conditions that no particle motion should occure at the walls, I ended up with:
    ##\Psi(x,y,z,t) = C sin(k_xx) sin(k_yy) sin(k_zz) cos(\omega t) ##
    where ##k_x = \frac{\pi n}{a}##, ##k_y = \frac{\pi m}{a}##, ##k_z = \frac{\pi l}{a}##
    This ultimately lead to:
    ##f= \frac{c}{2a} (l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2} ## as was to be shown.

However, I am completely stuck on the last part. I esentially end up with the inequality:
    ##(l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2} < \frac{2av}{c} ##
    but from here I have no idea how to progress to find the number of solutions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the volume of a sphere with radius ##2af\over c## ?

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    The volume is ##\frac{32\pi a^3f^3}{3c^3}## which is close to what we want to prove, but I don't see how a sphere comes in to the number of integer solutions in a cubic box...

5. Jan 29, 2017 #4
    Is it related to somekind of point density?
    ##V=\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}=\frac{32\pi a^3f^3}{3c^3}=16\cdot3\sqrt{3}\frac{4\pi a^3f^3}{9\sqrt{3}c^3}=\frac{1}{\rho}N## ?
    I still don't see why we get a sphere in a cubic box though and how we are supposed to know ##\rho##.

6. Jan 29, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not in the box with physical dimensions a, but in the space of l, m, n... where a radius is ##2af\over c##

7. Jan 29, 2017 #6
    I am sorry, but I still don't have any idea how to solve this.

8. Jan 30, 2017 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are after the number of
    which is roughly the number of grid points in ## l,m,n ## space for which ## l^2+m^2+n^2 \le ## a certain number, the (radius of a sphere)2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted