Number of Different resonances in a closed Box

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the possible resonance frequencies in a 3D box with side a are constant multiples of ##(l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2}##, where l, m and n are integers. It also mentions using the wave equation and boundary conditions to derive the formula ##f= \frac{c}{2a} (l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2} ##. The last part of the conversation focuses on finding the number of resonance frequencies less than v, which is related to the volume of a sphere with radius ##2af\over c## in the space of l, m, n. However,
Marcus95

Homework Statement

Show that the possible resonance frequencies in a 3D box with side a are constant multiples of ##(l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2}##, where l, m and n are integers. Assume that the box with sides a is filled with a gas in which the speed of sound is constant. Hence show that the number of different resonancec frequencies less than v is ##\approx \frac{4\pi a^3 v^3}{9\sqrt{3}c^3}##.

Homework Equations

##c = \frac{\omega}{k}##
##f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the first part by assuming that the variables could be decoupled and that the waveequation is on the form: ##\Psi(x,y,z,t) = X(x) Y(y) Z(z) cos(\omega t)## where ##X(x) = A_xcos(k_xx) + B_xsin(k_xx)## and equally for Y and Z. Using the boundary conditions that no particle motion should occur at the walls, I ended up with:
##\Psi(x,y,z,t) = C sin(k_xx) sin(k_yy) sin(k_zz) cos(\omega t) ##
where ##k_x = \frac{\pi n}{a}##, ##k_y = \frac{\pi m}{a}##, ##k_z = \frac{\pi l}{a}##
This ultimately lead to:
##f= \frac{c}{2a} (l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2} ## as was to be shown.

However, I am completely stuck on the last part. I esentially end up with the inequality:
##(l^2+m^2+n^2)^{1/2} < \frac{2av}{c} ##
but from here I have no idea how to progress to find the number of solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the volume of a sphere with radius ##2af\over c## ?

BvU said:
The volume is ##\frac{32\pi a^3f^3}{3c^3}## which is close to what we want to prove, but I don't see how a sphere comes into the number of integer solutions in a cubic box...

BvU said:
Is it related to somekind of point density?
##V=\frac{4\pi r^3}{3}=\frac{32\pi a^3f^3}{3c^3}=16\cdot3\sqrt{3}\frac{4\pi a^3f^3}{9\sqrt{3}c^3}=\frac{1}{\rho}N## ?
I still don't see why we get a sphere in a cubic box though and how we are supposed to know ##\rho##.

Not in the box with physical dimensions a, but in the space of l, m, n... where a radius is ##2af\over c##

BvU said:
Not in the box with physical dimensions a, but in the space of l, m, n... where a radius is ##2af\over c##
I am sorry, but I still don't have any idea how to solve this.

You are after the number of
Marcus95 said:
resonance frequencies less than v
which is roughly the number of grid points in ## l,m,n ## space for which ## l^2+m^2+n^2 \le ## a certain number, the (radius of a sphere)2

1. What is the significance of the number of different resonances in a closed box?

The number of different resonances in a closed box is an important factor in understanding the acoustic properties of the box. It determines the frequencies at which the box will vibrate or resonate, and therefore affects the quality of sound produced by any objects inside the box.

2. How does the shape and size of a closed box affect the number of resonances?

The shape and size of a closed box have a direct impact on the number of resonances it can produce. A larger box will have more resonances at lower frequencies, while a smaller box will have higher resonances at higher frequencies. The shape of the box also plays a role, as certain shapes can amplify or dampen certain frequencies.

3. Can the number of resonances in a closed box be altered?

Yes, the number of resonances in a closed box can be altered by changing the dimensions or materials of the box. By adjusting the size, shape, or materials, it is possible to manipulate the frequencies at which the box will resonate.

4. How does the number of resonances in a closed box affect the sound quality?

The number of resonances in a closed box can greatly impact the sound quality. If there are too few resonances, the sound may be dull and lack depth. On the other hand, if there are too many resonances, the sound may become muddled and unclear. A balanced amount of resonances will result in a more natural and pleasing sound.

5. Are there any real-life applications for understanding the number of resonances in a closed box?

Yes, understanding the number of resonances in a closed box is important in various fields, such as music and acoustics. It can help in designing better musical instruments or sound systems, as well as in creating efficient soundproofing materials. It is also relevant in architectural design, as the acoustics of a room depend on the number of resonances in the space.