1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of Events Detected (Neutrino Collisions)

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone,

So I am asked to detect the number of neutrino events that occur from them entering 3000 metric tonnes of pure water. I am given that t=10s , E(neutrino)=10MeV and that the electron cross section is 10^-47 m^2 . This was the famous neutrino experiment at Kamiokande for the explosion of SN 1987a. I also know the neutrino flux on earth due to this event ~ 4x10^13 s^-1m^-2.

Any help starting off this problem is appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to find the rate at which electrons are scattered by neutrino collisions in the water . So the reaction is just ν+e-→v+e-.

I'm guessing that the number of events E detected will be E = collisional frequency * elapsed time

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

How are event rates and cross-sections related?
    Can you calculate the probability that a single electrons takes part in a reaction, and the total number of electrons in the detector?

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3
    So the number of events will be N = σLt , where σ is the neutrino-electron cross section , L is the integrated luminosity, and t =10s ? The total number of electrons in one molecule of h20 is 10. So in 3,000,000,000g of water we have # electrons = (mass of water * Avogadro's number* 10 electrons) / molar mass of H20

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If you take L as integrated luminosity, then it includes the 10 seconds already.
    N is the number of events per electron?
    Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted