Is Lepton Number Conserved in Electron and Muon Neutrino Mixing?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Urvabara
Messages
98
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In some theory the electron neutrinos and the muon neutrinos mix like this:
[tex]\mathcal{L}_{m} &= -\frac{1}{2}m\left(\overline{ \nu^{C}_{\mu\text{R}} }\nu_{\text{eL}} + \overline{ \nu^{C}_{\text{eR}} }\nu_{\mu\text{L}}\right) + \text{h.c.}[/tex]

Show that there exists a conserving lepton number in this theory. What are the values for [tex]\nu_{\text{e}}[/tex] and [tex]\nu_{\mu}[/tex]? Are the mass eigenstates Dirac neutrinos or Majorana neutrinos? Does the theory fit with the observational data?

Homework Equations



[tex]\mathcal{L}_{m} = \dots = -\frac{1}{2}\left(m\overline{ \nu^{C}_{\mu\text{R}} }\nu_{\text{eL}} + m\overline{ \nu^{C}_{\text{eR}} }\nu_{\mu\text{L}}\right) - \frac{1}{2}\left(m\overline{ \nu_{\text{eL}} }\nu_{\mu\text{R}}^{C}+m\overline{ \nu_{\mu\text{L}} }\nu_{\text{eR}}^{C}\right).[/tex] Right?

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I was just thinking that it must be Dirac type mixing, if there exists a conserving lepton number. So the neutrinos are Dirac neutrinos. Right?

At least, the oscillation fits with the observational data, though in reality there are three types of neutrinos...

But I do not know how to calculate the lepton number. Maybe using the continuity equation and then constructing the Euler-Lagrange equation, but I do not know the exact procedure.

Can you help?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are Dirac.
lepton number conservation? is there some kind of a global symmetry somewhere here?