1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of modes in incoming light

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Hello all,

if I have incoming radiation from a blackbody source filtered to a bandwidth of 0.1 nm and centered at a wavelength of 500 nm, why is the number of modes in this light not equal to the density of photon states times the bandwidth?

I.e why isn't it
    [tex]\text{number of modes} = g(\omega) * \delta \omega = \frac{\omega^2}{\pi^2 c^3} \delta \omega[/tex]
    [tex]\omega = \frac{2 \pi c}{500 nm}[/tex]
    [tex]\delta \omega = \frac{2 \pi c}{0.1 nm}[/tex] ?

If anyone knows why I'd be very thankful for an explanation.

Best regards,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're omitting the [itex]exp(\hbar \omega/kT ) - 1 [/itex] factor in the denominator, which comes from the occupation fraction of a Bose gas, if you are interested in the number of occupied states and not just the number of available states.
  4. Jul 26, 2006 #3
    Yes but I thought that adding that factor would give me the number of photons? And that the there are more than one photon for every mode (frequency). Or have I missunderstood the question? I thought that "mode" refers to the number of available frequency states?

I can't say I've fully grasped the difference between "state", "mode" etc yet
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?