Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Number of moles of argon plasma to exert X pressure

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    is the amount of argon gas to exert 10,000 psi in cylinder will be the same if argon transformed to plasma or the number of moles will be less as plasma is more excited and have higher kinetic energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How do you want to convert it to plasma?
    Even if we ignore the transition to plasma, what do you expect as result from heating?

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3
    sorry for the late reply.
    i mean if we connected an electric current to it to transform it to plasma, will that lead to a higher kinetic energy from the electric current which will give out more pressure right?
    but i don't get temperatures of plasma for all kind of gases and that's mainly where i would appreciate your help, i always see videos on youtube of argon plasma in glass jars so how does the high temperature of argon plasma doesn't make the glass jar explode, here is a link to the video that got me confused

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Usually those devices have a much lower pressure than atmospheric pressure, as this makes it easier to generate a plasma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted