Number of oxygen molecules in our lecture theatre

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Chewy247
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
1. Estimate the number of oxygen molecules in LTD under normal pressure and temperature.



2. I'm guessing you use PV=nRT to get the number of moles of gas in the room and work out the % of oxygen in the air, but I got a number which to me looks too small.



3. Volume of LTD is approx 200m^3, P=101325 Pa, R=8.314472 J K-1 mol-1, T=273.15 K.

n=8922.996613.
20.95% of air is oxygen, therefore I wound up with 1869.36779 molecules of oxygen in the room.

(See I can't tell if there is more to it, or if the holidays have turned me into a thoroughbred moron)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you ended up with ~1900 moles of oxygen in the air. You'd then have 1900*Avagadro's # molecules of oxygen.
 
Heheh I knew it was that simple. It seems I have a bit of mind fuzz, thanks for the kick in the arse!