Number of photons emitted from a laser

  • Thread starter Thread starter pat666
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laser Photons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
pat666
Messages
703
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 35mW laser produces 526nm green light.
What is the number of photons it emits each second?
1.9×1017
1.9×1018
1.0×1017
9.3×1016


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've been playing with E=hf and lambda = h/p ----- no success!
The textbook I am using doesn't have much on photons/photoelectric effect - nothing that helps me with this question at least. the "photon wavelength-momentum relation" is I think the most relevant to this question?? The textbook doesn't actually say what p is so I assumed number of photons but that's wrong since it doesn't work.

anyway need some help please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the energy of one photon. You need to get the frequency from the wavelength.

ehild