Number of possible Straights in a deck of 52 cards

• Thread starter audifanatic51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of ways to obtain a straight in a deck of 52 cards. The correct answer is 10240, with 40 of those being a straight flush. The incorrect answer mentioned choosing 1 card from a deck of 52 and restricting the next 4 cards to one of 4 possible cards, but this approach does not take into account the starting point of the straight sequence.
audifanatic51
Hi,

I'm a bit thick-headed I guess and I cannot seem to figure out why my answer to this question is wrong.

I need to figure out the number of ways to obtain a straight in a deck of 52 cards (I do not need to ignore straight-flushes or royal flushes).

Note: a hand of 5 cards is used

My answer was to choose 1 card from a deck of 52 cards and then restrict the next 4 cards to one of 4 possible cards (one for each suit).

So, in short:

52C1 * (4C1)^4

which is wrong. Can anybody explain to me why I am wrong. I'm a-Ok with calc 1-4 and graph theory, but counting theories have never been by favorite, even as a kid. Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
"There are 14 effective ranks of cards for a straight (ace can be high or low). The straight can start on anyone of A,K,J,Q,T,9,8,7,6,5 and go down. That makes 10 base straight sequences. Each card in the sequence can be any of the four suits. So the total number of straights is 10 * 4 ^5 = 10240.

40 of those are a straight flush." -Wiki answers.

audifanatic51 said:
My answer was to choose 1 card from a deck of 52 cards and then restrict the next 4 cards to one of 4 possible cards (one for each suit).

So, in short:
52C1 * (4C1)^4
You appear to be taking that first card as the top (or maybe the bottom, but not either/or) of the run. As FeynmanIsCool points out, only 40 of the cards can serve as that.

haruspex said:
You appear to be taking that first card as the top (or maybe the bottom, but not either/or) of the run. As FeynmanIsCool points out, only 40 of the cards can serve as that.

Ok, you you're basically saying that there really isn't a "first" card since that "first card" can be at the top, end, or somewhere in the middle since order doesn't matter?

audifanatic51 said:
Ok, you you're basically saying that there really isn't a "first" card since that "first card" can be at the top, end, or somewhere in the middle since order doesn't matter?
No, I'm saying that if you are taking the first card to define the set of four others then you need to specify where in the sequence that first card comes. You can make it the top, the bottom, or anywhere in between provided you are consistent. But once you have fixed that, there are only forty cards it can be.

1. How many possible straights can be made in a deck of 52 cards?

The number of possible straights in a deck of 52 cards is 10. This includes all possible combinations of five consecutive cards, regardless of suit.

2. Does the order of the cards matter in a straight?

Yes, the order of the cards does matter in a straight. In a standard deck of 52 cards, there are 10 possible straights, but if the order of the cards is changed, the number of possible straights increases.

3. How many cards are needed to form a straight?

A straight requires five cards to be formed. This is because a straight is a sequence of five consecutive cards, and a standard deck of 52 cards has 13 different ranks, and each rank has four different suits. Therefore, the maximum number of consecutive cards in a straight is five.

4. Are there any restrictions on the suits of the cards in a straight?

No, there are no restrictions on the suits of the cards in a straight. As long as the cards are in consecutive rank order, they can be of any suit combination. For example, a straight can consist of a mix of hearts, spades, diamonds, and clubs.

5. What is the probability of drawing a straight from a deck of 52 cards?

The probability of drawing a straight from a deck of 52 cards is approximately 0.39%. This is calculated by taking the number of possible straights (10) and dividing it by the total number of possible hands in a deck of 52 cards (2,598,960).