Number of ways to make delegations

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
In summary, there are two ways to calculate the number of combinations for choosing a group of 4 people from 9 individuals, with 4 being men and 5 being women. Method 1 subtracts the delegations of all men and all women from the total number of ways, while Method 2 multiplies the choices for one man, one woman, and two other people. However, Method 2 may count some combinations more than once, making Method 1 the correct approach.
songoku
Homework Statement
Find number of ways to make delegations of 4 from 4 men and 5 women if there is at least one man and one woman
Relevant Equations
Permutation and Combination
I did it 2 ways:

(1) No. of ways = total ways - delegations of all men - delegations of all women = 9C4 - 4C4 - 5C4 = 120

(2) No. of ways = choosing one man x choosing one woman x choosing the other two people = 4C1 x 5C1 x 7C2 = 420

I am pretty sure method (1) is correct but I don't understand why method (2) is wrong

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Method 2 counts some combinations more than once. E.g. if I first select man A and woman A, then from the remaining 7 take man B and woman B, the result is the same as if I first select man B and woman B, then from the remaining 7 take man A and woman A. (Or A/B then B/A, or B/A then A/B). But each of these counts separately in method 2.

Likes Delta2 and songoku
mjc123 said:
Method 2 counts some combinations more than once. E.g. if I first select man A and woman A, then from the remaining 7 take man B and woman B, the result is the same as if I first select man B and woman B, then from the remaining 7 take man A and woman A. (Or A/B then B/A, or B/A then A/B). But each of these counts separately in method 2.
Thank you very much mjc123

1. What is the definition of "Number of ways to make delegations"?

The number of ways to make delegations refers to the total number of possible combinations or arrangements that can be made when assigning a group of people to different tasks or roles.

2. How is the number of ways to make delegations calculated?

The number of ways to make delegations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n represents the total number of people and r represents the number of positions or tasks to be filled.

3. Can the number of ways to make delegations be calculated for any number of people and tasks?

Yes, the formula for calculating the number of ways to make delegations can be applied to any number of people and tasks, as long as the values are positive integers.

4. How does the number of ways to make delegations change as the number of people or tasks increases?

The number of ways to make delegations increases exponentially as the number of people or tasks increases. For example, if there are 5 people and 3 tasks, there are 10 possible combinations. But if there are 10 people and 3 tasks, there are 120 possible combinations.

5. Can the number of ways to make delegations be used in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the concept of the number of ways to make delegations can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as assigning tasks to a team, creating schedules for employees, or organizing a group project. It can also be used in mathematics and computer science to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.