1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number revolutions with constant angular decelleration

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    # revolutions with constant angular decelleration

1. A well-lubricated bicycle wheel spins a long time before stopping. Suppose a wheel initially rotating at 120 rpm takes 65 s to stop.

If the angular acceleration is constant, how many revolutions does the wheel make while stopping?

2. a = omega^2*r

3. I already know the solution is theta = 65 revolutions. What is the calculation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Re: # revolutions with constant angular decelleration

ok so:

120rpm = 12.57rad/s << obtained by dimensional analysis 'cause you know 1 rev = 2(pie)rads

12.57 rad/s is your initial omega

your final omega = 0 rad/s

using the kinematics equation : omega final = omega initial + alpha (delta time)
    you get : 0 = 12.57 + (alpha)(65s)

-0.1934rad/s^2 = alpha << angular deceleration

so, using another kinematics equation, the one with the angular displacement:
    final position = initial position + 12.57(65) + (0.5)(-0.1934)(65^2)
    then you get 408.4925 rads
    as a result, (use the dimensional analysis again) to get the revolutions! which is 65.01 revolutions.

i hope that helped. i might be a tad confusing :S

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3

I understand the first part, and the reasoning used in the second, but I don't understand this part:

-0.1934rad/s^2 = alpha << angular deceleration

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4

you know the kinematics formula : omega final = omega initial + (alpha)(time) ?

it's the same as
    final angular velocity = initial angular velocity + (angular acceleration)(time)
    since you have the final angular velocity and the initial, and the time, you can figure out the angular acceleration. :)

and ... why use : a = omega^2*r?
    that formula is for the centripedal acceleration, and NOT the angular acceleration. centripedal is a linear acceleration! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook