Number theory - euler's phi function

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of solutions for the equation {x}^{2} ≡ a (mod {p}^{2}) based on the number of solutions for the equation {x}^{2} ≡ a (mod p). It is determined that there are either 0 or 2 solutions for the former equation, depending on the number of solutions for the latter equation. The conversation also touches on the use of Euclid's criterion and the divisibility of p^2. The conversation concludes by discussing the implication of the equation x^2 - a ≡ (x - x_1)(x - x_2) (mod p) in relation to the equation x^2 - a ≡ (
kimberu

Homework Statement

Let p = a prime. Show [tex]{x}^{2}[/tex] ≡ a (mod {p}^{2}[/tex]) has 0 solutions if [tex]{x}^{2}[/tex] ≡ a (mod p) has 0 solutions, or 2 solutions if [tex]{x}^{2}[/tex] ≡ a (mod p) has 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, my mistake, I don't think this has anything to do with the phi function. But I don't know what to use to solve this - I thought Euclid's criterion would be somehow useful, but I don't know how.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]x^2 - a[/itex], can [itex]p^2[/itex] do so?

jbunniii said:
If [itex]p[/itex] does not divide [itex]x^2 - a[/itex], can [itex]p^2[/itex] do so?

I'd say no, it can't, because p*p can't divide something that doesn't have at least p as a factor. But what about if p does divide [itex]x^2 - a[/itex]?

kimberu said:
I'd say no, it can't, because p*p can't divide something that doesn't have at least p as a factor.

Right, so that proves the first part.

But what about if p does divide [itex]x^2 - a[/itex]?

OK, suppose that

[tex]x^2 \equiv a \mod p[/tex]

has two distinct solutions, [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]x^2 - a \equiv (x - x_1)(x - x_2) \mod p[/tex]

I claim that this implies

[tex]x^2 - a \equiv (x - x_1)(x - x_2) \mod p^2[/tex]

Can you justify this claim?

1. What is Euler's phi function?

Euler's phi function, also known as Euler's totient function, is a mathematical function that counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that are relatively prime to that number. It is denoted by the symbol φ(n).

2. How is Euler's phi function calculated?

Euler's phi function can be calculated using the formula φ(n) = n * (1 - 1/p1) * (1 - 1/p2) * ... * (1 - 1/pk), where n is the given number and p1, p2, ..., pk are its prime factors. This formula is based on the fact that the phi function is multiplicative.

3. What is the significance of Euler's phi function?

Euler's phi function has many applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used, for example, in the RSA encryption algorithm, which is widely used for secure communication over the internet. It also has connections to other important concepts in mathematics, such as Fermat's little theorem and the Chinese remainder theorem.

4. How is Euler's phi function related to prime numbers?

Euler's phi function is related to prime numbers through the formula φ(p) = p - 1, where p is a prime number. This means that for any prime number, the value of the phi function is equal to one less than the prime number. This relationship is important in the study of prime numbers and their properties.

5. Can Euler's phi function be extended to non-integer values?

No, Euler's phi function is defined only for positive integer values. It is a discrete function that counts the number of integers, so it cannot be extended to non-integer values. However, there are other functions that have similar properties and can be extended to non-integer values, such as the Riemann zeta function.