Number Theory fundamental theorem of arithemetic

In summary: there is no answer to those types of questions? would that make them easier to understand?in summary, the first question is asking if there is a prime that divides 72, and the second is asking for a proof that p is one of the prime factors of d. neither question is answered, as the first asks for a prime that does not exist, and the second has been proven without providing a proof that p is one of the prime factors of d.
trap101
I have two full questions on some number theory questions I've been working on, I guess my best bet would be to post them separately.

1) Suppose that n is in N (natural numbers), p1,...,pn are distinct primes, and l1,...ln are nonnegative integers. Let m = p1l1p2l2...pnln. Let d be in N such that d ≥ 2 and d divides m.

a) Using the fundamental theorem of arithemetic prove that p is a prime that divides d, then pi for some i in {1,...,n}.

Attempt: Since d is in N and d ≥ 2, this means that d itself is a product of primes (prime factorization) or a prime itself. This means d = p1p2...pn (product of primes). Then there exists a p that divides d. (Since we are starting from 1 in the natural numbers)

Is this the right idea and what would be a clearer way of writing this as a proof?

b) Suppose the i is in {1,...,n}. Prove that pik does not divide d if
k > li

Attempt: if k > li then d ≠ pik, but d may equal any prime in m = p1l1p2l2...pnln since we know d | m.

this would imply d has a cononical factorization : p1l1p2l2...pnln and we know k > li therefore pik does not divide d.

Right idea?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"n" is sort of irrelevant to the proof, it just serves to underscore that m is a product of a finite number of prime powers.

the important fact is that d|m.

we suppose that p is a prime dividing d, and we want to prove that p is one of the prime factors listed in the given factorization of m.

the fundamental theorem of arithmetic tells us the given factorization is unique.

(well, it is if we list the primes pi in ascending order p1<...< pn).

the first step should be to prove that p|m.

the next step should involve this fundamental fact about primes:

if p is a prime, and p|ab, then either p|a, or p|b (or perhaps both).

under what circumstances will p|pili ?

for part (b): suppose, by way of contradiction, that k > li, but that somehow pik divided d.

wouldn't pik also divide m? re-write:

m/(pik) in some form that leads to a contradiction (you may assume li = k+r, for some r > 0).

to bring this "back to earth", let's see an example:

suppose m = 72 = 8*9 = (23)(32).

if d is any divisor of 72, can there be any prime factors of d besides 2 and 3? could any multiple of 5 be a divisor of 72? how about 7? what do you think?

Deveno said:
the first step should be to prove that p|m.

the next step should involve this fundamental fact about primes:

if p is a prime, and p|ab, then either p|a, or p|b (or perhaps both).

To work on the first portion of this, the only way I could come up with being able to show that p|m is by the fact that I'm told that d|m, since this is the case, d can be written as a product of primes (call them the series of q's). Since we know d | m, this means (series of q's)|m. From the fact of primes that if p is a prime and p | ab, then p|a or p|b, we can say since d|m => (series of q's)|m => (a q of series of q's)|p1 or (a q of series of q's)|p2 or ...(a q of series of q's)|pn

Deveno said:

I haven't been able to figure it out. Now thinking about it, I don't even think I proved that p|d...smh.

theorem:

if a|b and b|c, then a|c

proof:

suppose a|b and b|c. then b = ka, for some integer k, and c = mb, for some integer m.

hence: c = mb = m(ka) = (mk)a, so a|c, since mk is surely an integer.

i think what is giving you trouble is you want to "factorize" d. well, you COULD...and you'd have a list of d as some product like:

d = q1k1q2k2...qrkr,

and then you'd have to show that each q equalled "some" p, and that each power was less than or equal to the corresponding power in the factorization of m. this is actually doable, but keeping track of the exponents and subscripts is tedious, and in the end, not very instructive.

if p|d, and d|m...by the above theorem, p|m. think about this: we have a factorization of m into powers of primes, which we know is unique, and we have that p is a prime dividing m. how can p NOT be one of those primes in the factorization of m?

if i asked you: which primes divide 32760, would you consider that "a hard problem?". is it possible that 11 divides 32760? what about 17, or 163? how would you even begin to start answering those problems?

well, what if i told you that:

32760 = (23)(32)(5)(7)(13)

is it any clearer which primes divide 32760?

for your second question...does 3 divide 16? 32? 64? does 3 divide ANY power of 2? does 3 divide any power of 7? does 3 divide any power of any other prime? can you generalize this to prime numbers besides 3?

1. What is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic is a mathematical concept that states that every positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. This means that any composite number can be broken down into a unique combination of prime numbers.

2. Why is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic important?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic is important because it helps us understand the properties of whole numbers and their relationships with one another. It also serves as the basis for many other important theorems in number theory and has applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

3. How is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic used in real life?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic is used in real life in various ways. One example is in cryptography, where prime numbers are used to encrypt sensitive information. It is also used in computer science for algorithms involving prime factorization, and in finance for calculating interest rates and compound interest.

4. Is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic applicable to negative numbers?

No, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic only applies to positive integers. Negative numbers do not have unique prime factorizations, as they can be written as the product of a negative prime and a negative integer.

5. Who discovered the fundamental theorem of arithmetic?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic was first proved by Euclid, a Greek mathematician, in his work "Elements" around 300 BC. However, it was later refined and expanded upon by other mathematicians such as Carl Friedrich Gauss and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.