Number Theory-limitation of Pn

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
In summary: We also know that P_{n+1} is a prime number. So, as long as P_{n+1} is not the smallest possible divisor of N, then P_{n+1} must be a prime number as well.
icystrike

Homework Statement

This is part of Euclid's proof such that he says:
1)

[tex]P_{n+1}[/tex] smaller or equal to [tex]P_{1}[/tex][tex]P_{2}[/tex]...[tex]P_{n}[/tex] +1
Such that p_n is to denote some prime
I am wondering if anyone could provide me with an elegant prove to the above inequality as i am new to number theory.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icystrike said:

Homework Statement

1)

[tex]p_{n+1}[/tex] smaller or equal to [tex]p_{1}[/tex][tex]p_{2}[/tex]...[tex]p_{n}[/tex]+1
I am wondering if anyone could provide me with an elegant prove to the above inequality as i am new to number theory.
That is part of Euclid's proof of what? The "[itex]p_1p_2\cdot\cdot\cdot p_n+ 1[/itex]" reminds me of Euclides proof that there are an infinite number of primes but he never asserts that [itex]p_{n+1}[/itex] is smaller than or equal to that.

It does, of course, follow from Euclid's proof. Assuming that [itex]p_1[/itex], [itex]p_2[/itex], ..., [itex]p_n[/itex] is a list of all primes less than or equal to [itex]p_n[/itex], [itex]p_1p_2\cdot\cdot\cdot p_n+ 1[/itex] is certainly not divisible by any of [itex]p_1[/itex], [itex]p_2[/itex], ..., [itex]p_n[/itex]. Therefore it is either a prime itself or is divisible by a prime larger than any of [itex]p_1[/itex], [itex]p_2[/itex], ..., [itex]p_n[/itex]. In either case there must be a prime less than or equal to [itex]p_1p_2\cdot\cdot\cdot p_n+ 1[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
icystrike said:

Homework Statement

1)

[tex]p_{n+1}[/tex] smaller or equal to [tex]p_{1}[/tex][tex]p_{2}[/tex]...[tex]p_{n}[/tex]+1

It is not very elegant but the proof follows from the principles of order on the real number field.

Considering positive primes: given [tex]p_{1} < p_{2}[/tex], then it follows that [tex]p_{1} < p_{1}^2 < p_{1} \cdot p_{2}[/tex], by inductive reasoning you can prove that [tex]p_{n+1}<p_{n+1} \cdot p_{1} < p_{n+1} \cdot p_{1} \cdot p_{2}[/tex], and so on.

Am I understanding the question right? It seems to come quite simply by noting that the primes are larger than 1. We can even omit the equality option of the inequality at a glance.

Thank you for all your replies (=

I think I'm able to understand the concept.
Please tell me your opinions on my proof below.Let [tex]P_{1}[/tex][tex]P_{2}[/tex]...[tex]P_{n}[/tex] +1 =N
Such that N is an element of positive integer.
Thus, it suggest N is co-prime to [tex]P_{1}[/tex],[tex]P_{2}[/tex], ... ,[tex]P_{n}[/tex]Which may be a prime number that is [tex]P_{k}[/tex]
Such that k is a value larger or equal to n+1 OR

It may be a composite number that is larger than [tex]P_{n+1}[/tex] as the smallest possible divisor of N should be [tex]P_{n+1}[/tex] . Noting N is co-prime to [tex]P_{1}[/tex],[tex]P_{2}[/tex], ... ,[tex]P_{n}[/tex] .

Last edited:

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers, or whole numbers. It involves exploring patterns and structures within numbers and their interactions with other mathematical concepts.

2. What is the Pn sequence in number theory?

The Pn sequence, also known as the prime number sequence, is a sequence of prime numbers starting with 2 and continuing infinitely. Prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves, making them unique within the set of integers.

3. What are the limitations of Pn in number theory?

The main limitation of Pn is that it is an infinite sequence, meaning that there is no largest prime number. This makes it difficult to study and analyze the sequence as a whole. Additionally, there are many unsolved problems related to prime numbers, making it a challenging area of study.

4. How is Pn used in cryptography?

Prime numbers, specifically large prime numbers, are used in cryptography to create secure encryption methods. This is because it is very difficult and time-consuming to factor large prime numbers, making them ideal for keeping sensitive information safe.

5. What are some applications of Pn in real life?

The Pn sequence has various applications in real life, such as in cryptography, as mentioned before. It is also used in computer science for generating random numbers and in coding theory for error-correcting codes. Additionally, prime numbers have been used in ancient civilizations for creating calendars and in modern times for creating secure credit card numbers.