1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory - Show harmonic numbers are not integers

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    Q.Prove that 1+1/2+1/3+1/4+.........+1/n is not an integer.n>0

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2
    There are a couple ways to prove this that I know of. Your title says number theory so if you have discussed in class (or read on your own) p-adic valuations, try to show that for a fixed n>1 the 2-adic valuation is always greater than 1. If you don't have experience with this, try the sum where n=p (some prime). Make an argument (manipulate terms) why this isnt' an integer. Then fix that p, and pick an x between p and 2p-1, and follow a similar argument. Unfortunately you now must prove that for any x such a p exists. I believe this was proven by Erdos. Maybe your teacher will let you get away with that as justification. Another way is to show that for some n, the sum=(even number + odd number)/2N *odd number which isn't an integer.

4. Nov 29, 2005 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you mean n > 1. If it's just n > 0, then the sum for n = 1 should not be an integer, but that sum is just 1, which clearly is an integer.

5. Dec 2, 2005 #4

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there a theorem that you know that says that (for large enough m), there is always a prime number between m and 2m?

Carl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?