1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number thory- fermet's little theorm

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let a and b be integers that not divisible by the prime number p
    if a^p[itex]\equiv[/itex]b^p, prove that a^p[itex]\equiv[/itex]b^p mod p^2

2. Relevant equations

if a^p[itex]\equiv[/itex]b^p, prove that a[itex]\equiv[/itex]b mod p

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already get that a[itex]\equiv[/itex]b mod p , then how can I get a^p[itex]\equiv[/itex]b^p mod p^2 under the a^p[itex]\equiv[/itex]b^p mod p

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2
    Hi ... i dono how to get the result a^p≡b^p mod p^2 using Fermat's theorem . But , the result can be proven using Binomial series.
    Let a = mp + r , b = np + r where m and n are arbitrary integers.r is also an integer that denotes the remainder when a or b is divided by p.It is clear that our definition for a and b satisfy the intermediate result a≡b mod p = r.

ap ≡ (mp + r )p mod p2

Expanding RHS by binomial series and removing the terms which is exactly divisible by p^2 , we get ,

(mp + r )p mod p2 ≡ rp mod p2

similarly , bp ≡ (np + r )p mod p2 ≡ rp mod p2

Thus , it is proved that a^p and b^p will produce the same remainder when divided by p^2

Hope that u can understand this explanation... if not , post me the steps that you didnt understand ... i ll try to explain in detail

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook