Prove that if p > 3 is prime, then p^2 = 6k + 1.

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary: Squaring them will give you the result you're looking for.In summary, the prime number p is not divisible by any of the numbers 1, 2, or 4, but is divisible by 5 and 6. The only two remaining cases are p mod 6 = 1 or p mod 6 = 5. p mod 6 = 1: Then p = 6k + 1 for some k ∈ Z. This means p 2 = 36k^2 + 12k + 1 = 6(6k^2 + 2k) + 1 = 6i + 1 where i =
s3a

Homework Statement

Problem:
Prove that if p is a prime number larger than 3, then p^2 = 6k + 1 for some k ∈ ℤ.

Correct Solution:
"Note that if p is a prime number larger than 3, then p mod 6 cannot be 0, 2, or 4 as this would mean p is even, and cannot be 3 as this would mean p is a multiple of 3.

The only two remaining cases are p mod 6 = 1 or p mod 6 = 5.

p mod 6 = 1: Then p = 6k + 1 for some k ∈ Z. This means
p 2 = 36k^2 + 12k + 1 = 6(6k^2 + 2k) + 1 = 6i + 1 where i = 6k^2 + 2k.

p mod 6 = 5: Then p = 6k + 5 for some k ∈ Z. This means p 2 = 36k^2 + 60k + 25 =
6(6k^2 + 10k + 4) + 1 = 6i + 1 where i = 6k^2 + 10k + 4.

In both cases, we have the desired result."

Homework Equations

Modulo computations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand why the remainder/value of p mod 6 cannot be 0, 2 or 4, because the non-remainder part would be divisible by 6 (and therefore divisible by 2), and the remainder part would also be divisible by 2, therefore the entire number p would be divisible by 2, which would mean that it is even, and if a number greater than 3 is even then it is divisible by a number other than 1 or itself, so it is not prime.

I also get that p mod 6 = 3 would mean that p is a multiple of 3, and p cannot be 3 (since it must be larger than 3 as stated in the problem), but I don't get why it cannot be other multiples of 3 like 9.

And, I don't get why the solution is computing p mod 6 in the first place.

As for evaluating the p mod 6 = 1 and p mod 6 = 5 cases, I do understand what's going on there.

Could someone please help me fully understand what the solution is saying?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Like you said, we know for sure that p = 1 (mod 6) or p = 5 (mod 6). If p = 1 (mod 6), then p^2 = 1^2 = 1 (mod 6), and we're done. Else, p = 5 = -1 (mod 6), and so p^2 = (-1)*(-1) = 1 (mod 6). p can't equal 3 mod 6, else it'd be divisible by 3 (like 9), and p wouldn't be prime.

s3a said:
I also get that p mod 6 = 3 would mean that p is a multiple of 3, and p cannot be 3 (since it must be larger than 3 as stated in the problem), but I don't get why it cannot be other multiples of 3 like 9.

And, I don't get why the solution is computing p mod 6 in the first place.

On the first point, why not construct a short proof yourself to show that:

If p = 3 mod 6 then p is divisible by 3. Hence p is not prime (p > 3).

On the second point, the proof is in two parts. First, it establishes which congruences mod 6 are potentially prime: only 1 and 5. Then shows that both, when squared, are equal to 1 mod 6.

You could try an alternative proof starting with ##p^2 mod 6## and working back. But it wouldn't be as neat.

This is a really easy problem, read a little bit of congruence theory...

Likes metapuff

What does it mean for a number to be prime?

A prime number is a positive integer that has exactly two divisors, 1 and itself. In other words, a prime number can only be divided evenly by 1 and itself.

How can we prove that p > 3 is prime?

There are a few methods for proving a number is prime, including trial division and the Sieve of Eratosthenes. However, since the statement in question already assumes that p is prime, we do not need to prove it.

What is the significance of p^2 = 6k + 1 in this statement?

This equation is known as a quadratic congruence and it is significant because it is a way to express a number as being 1 more than a multiple of 6. In this case, it is being used to prove that p > 3 is prime.

What is the relationship between p and k in this statement?

The value of p is being squared and then divided by 6, with 1 being added to the result. This means that p must be a multiple of 6, with 1 added to it. Therefore, k represents the value of p divided by 6.

Why is it important to prove this statement?

Proving this statement is important because it helps us understand the properties of prime numbers and their relationship to other numbers. It also has real-world applications in areas such as cryptography and number theory.