Numeric result for an integral solution to pi

In summary, the conversation is about a parent seeking help for her son who is in prison and needs a program or tool to calculate a formula that goes beyond the capabilities of a small graphing calculator. The formula in question is "2 times the inverted sign of 1 minus the inverted sign of 0," and the parent is unsure if the result obtained from the calculator is accurate or if it is simply rounding off. They also mention the possibility of this formula being related to the calculation of pi. The conversation ends with the parent thanking those who responded and mentioning that the issue has been resolved.
Danimel

Homework Statement

I am posting for my son, who needs the full readout for a formula, more than what a small graphing calculator can do. Is there such a program for that? Am I in the right place to get an answer for this?
I would appreciate any help in this for my mathmatical skills are limited, and I would like to help my son who is in prison and does not have access to computers of any sort.

Homework Equations

I need the numeric result of "2 times the inverted sign of 1 minus the inverted sign of 0."
Does it go on forever or does it end?

The Attempt at a Solution

A friend calculated this on a small graphing calculator and got 3.14159265359. What my son needs to know is does this differ from the normal pi with 3.14159265358, or was the calculator simply rounding off the number for the sake of the calculator and its limited displaying capabilities?

Physics news on Phys.org
That numerical approximation (which most calculators give) is awfully close to pi. If it's not... well this problem must've been made purposely for the sole intent of deceiving.

I don't understand what the question means though.
2 times the inverted sign of 1 minus the inverted sign of 0.

You might want to try the wolfram calculator, it gives exact answers wherever possible. But you also need to know the syntax to type in the correct question, so if you can be more clear about what the question is, we could help you more with this.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/index.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
What do "The inverted sign of 1" and "the inverted sign of 0" mean?

I want to thank those who responded to the question posed. It was not a question meant to deceive or trick. My apologies. My son, as I said before, is in prison with no access to computers or calculators. He felt through the work that he had been doing that he had found a finite solution to pi, which I have discovered in my inquiry into this, has already been attempted/done. I would like to thank the person who referred me to the wolframalpha site. Quite helpful. I was simply an English, French, theatre major mom lost in the realm of mathematics on a quest to help her son find answers.

Last edited:
I think she means inverse sine.

I did, and thank you, PinkCrayon. This whole thing has been resolved. I have a renewed appreciation for all mathematical minds of this site. Signing off...and this time it is spelled correctly!

Ohh you were looking for [tex]2sin^{-1}(1)-sin^{-1}(0)[/tex] haha I did sit down to think about what you might mean and this never occurred to me.

Sorry, for the confusion, Mentallic, and thank you, too, for the wolframalpha site suggestion.

1. What is the value of pi?

The value of pi is an irrational number, approximately equal to 3.14159.

2. How is pi calculated?

Pi is most commonly calculated using the formula A = πr², which represents the area of a circle with radius r. It can also be calculated using infinite series or numerical integration methods.

3. Why is pi important?

Pi is an important mathematical constant in many fields, including geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is used to calculate the circumference and area of circles, and is also used in engineering, physics, and statistics.

4. What is the significance of finding an integral solution to pi?

An integral solution to pi would provide a more accurate and precise value for pi, as it would involve calculating the area under the curve of a circle, rather than using approximations or infinite series. This could have significant implications in various mathematical and scientific fields.

5. Has an integral solution to pi been found?

As of now, an exact integral solution to pi has not been found, as it is an irrational number. However, mathematicians and scientists continue to search for more accurate and efficient methods of calculating pi.