1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical integration methods applicable to a type of definite integral

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    Numerical integration methods applicable to a type of definite integrl

Hey, so I've been working on a program to numerically integrate an integral of the form

∫xnf(x) dx, LIM(0 to INF.)

Here n can go to negative non integral values, say -3.7 etc. and f(x)
    is a function of sin, cos and x's.
    I want to know which numerical integration method I should be using for this
    type of definite integral. I was looking at Gauss-Laguerre quadrature method, but I don't
    know it it will be applicable, given the constraint on n to be > -1

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss–Laguerre_quadrature#Generalized_Gauss.E2.80.93Laguerre_quadrature)

Also, there is a singularity at x=0, which will affect it.
    Can anyone given any tips on how to handle this ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2014 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that if the integral doesn't converge then no numerical algorithm will help you. If n=-3.7, then near zero your f needs to look like [itex]f(x)\approx x^a[/itex] for [itex]a>2.7[/itex] for the integral to exist. That is why generalized Gauss-Laguerre has the n>-1 condition. Conditions as [itex]x\rightarrow \infty[/itex] must also be met of course. The exponential in Gauss-Laguerre also helps with this.

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook