Implementation of numerical method

In summary, the conversation discusses a numerical method to solve an initial value problem and the use of Newton's method to calculate an approximation of the solution. The program code provided implements this method and there is a discussion about the initial value and how to compute the solution for different values of n. The output of the program for different inputs is also mentioned.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)

Consider the initial value problem

$$\left\{\begin{matrix}
y'(t)=f(t,y(t)) &, a \leq t \leq b \\
y(a)=y_0&
\end{matrix}\right. (1)$$

I want to write a program that implements the following numerical method to solve $(1)$

$\left\{\begin{matrix}
y^{n+1}=y^n+h[\rho f(t^n,y^n)+(1-\rho)f(t^{n+1},y^{n+1})] &, n=0,1, \dots, N-1 \\
y^0=y_0 &
\end{matrix}\right.$for a uniform partition of $[a,b]$ with step $h=\frac{b-a}{N}$.
For each $\rho \in [0,1)$ the method is implicit, that means that at each step we will have to solve a nonlinear equation for the computation of $y^{n+1}$. This can be done with the use of Newton's method, which is defined as follows:

Let $g(x)$ be a function and $x^{\star}$ a root of it, which we want to approach. Given an initial approximation of the root, $x_0$, we define the iterative procedure $x_{k+1}=x_k-\frac{g(x_k)}{g'(x_k)}, k=0,1,2, \dots$ that approaches our root. There are two termination criteria of the method. Either we define a maximum number of iterations $R_{max}$ or we require two consecutive approximations to differ less than an accuracy [m] tol [/m] that we define, i.e. we terminate the procedure when we have $|x_{k+1}-x_k|<tol$.For example, if we have $\rho=0$ then we have the implicit Euler method $y^{n+1}=y^n+hf(t^{n+1},y^{n+1})$.

In our case, $g(y^{n+1})=y^{n+1}-y^n-hf(t^{n+1},y^{n+1})$.

So in order to calculate an approximation of $y^{n+1}$, we will use Newton's method:

$$y_{k+1}^{n+1}=y_k^{n+1}- \frac{g(y_k^{n+1})}{g'(y_k^{n+1})}=y_k^{n+1}- \frac{y_k^{n+1}-y^n-hf(t^{n+1},y_k^{n+1})}{1-h \frac{\partial{f(t^{n+1},y_k^{n+1})}}{\partial{y_k^{n+1}}}}, k=1,2, \dots, R_{max}$$

given some initial approximation $y_0^{n+1}$ (let $y_0^{n+1}=y^n$).That's what I have tried so far:
Code:
function [t,y]=pf(a,b,y0,N, rho)
RMAX=4;
tol=10^(-3);
h=(b-a)/N;
t=zeros(1,N+1);
y=zeros=(1,N+1);
y0=zeros(1,N+1);
t(1)=0;
y(1)=1;

for n=1:N
    g=@(y(n+1)) y(n+1)-y(n)-h*(rho*f(t(n),y(n))-(1-rho)*func(t(n+1),y(n+1)));
    dg=@(y(n+1)) 1-h*(1-rho)*dfunc(t(n+1));
    y0=y(n);
    for k=1:RMAX
        y(n+1)=y(0)-g(y(0))/dg(y(0))

end
end
Is is right so far? I don't know what to do with the initial value $y_0^{n+1}=y^n$ and in general with $y_k^{n+1}$.
We want to compute $y_1^{n+1},y_2^{n+1}, y_2^{n+1}, \dots$ for several values of $n$.
So does it suffice to consider a vector of length $N$?
Or should we have a two-dimensional array? (Worried)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have written a function and calling it with $a=0, b=1, N=5, y0=1, \rho=0$ and I got the following results:
[m]
t =

0 0.2000 0 0 0 0y =

1 1 0 0 0 0
1 1 0 0 0 0

[/m]

Then, changing the function, I got the following:[m]
t =

1.0000y =

[/m]Could you tell me one of them is the right result? (Thinking)

1. What is a numerical method and why is it important in science?

A numerical method is a mathematical algorithm or technique used to solve complex problems that cannot be solved analytically. It is important in science because many real-world problems, such as predicting weather patterns or simulating the behavior of complex systems, cannot be solved using traditional analytical methods. Numerical methods allow scientists to approximate solutions and make predictions with high accuracy and efficiency.

2. How do scientists choose the most appropriate numerical method for a specific problem?

Choosing the most appropriate numerical method for a problem depends on the specific properties of the problem, such as the type of equations involved, the desired level of accuracy, and the available computing resources. Scientists often use a combination of theoretical analysis and experimentation to determine the best method for a given problem.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using numerical methods?

The advantages of using numerical methods include the ability to solve complex problems with high accuracy and efficiency, as well as the ability to model and simulate real-world systems. However, numerical methods also have limitations, such as the potential for round-off and truncation errors, and the need for computational resources.

4. How do scientists validate the results obtained from numerical methods?

Scientists validate the results obtained from numerical methods by comparing them to known analytical solutions or experimental data. Additionally, they may vary the parameters or inputs of the problem and observe how the results change to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the method.

5. Can numerical methods be used for all types of problems?

No, numerical methods are not suitable for all types of problems. They are most commonly used for problems involving mathematical models and equations, but they may not be suitable for problems with complex or chaotic behavior. Additionally, the accuracy and efficiency of numerical methods may vary depending on the properties of the problem.