Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical intergration of a set of measured data points

1. Jun 23, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I have faced the following question. In our lab we perform different measurements on Transistors. We program a scope and that controls the tests. For one of our tests we would like to calculate the total charge Q. Mathematically this is given by
    Q=∫ dt i(t), where i(t) is given by i(t) = v(t)/R, i(t)= current, v(t)=voltage, R= resistivity ( constant value), for a time interval [t1, t2]
    We cannot measure i(t) directly but we can measure v(t). This means
    Q=∫dt v(t)/R.
    We have noticed the following
    1. if we define Q1 = ∫dt ( v(t)/R)
    2. or if we define Q2= (∫dt v(t))/R
    Mathematically these two integrals should produce the same result. But we see completely different results. I wonder if this depends on the numerical methods used in integration or has another reason.

Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If R is truly a constant, then the answer cannot depend on when you divide. You must be making a mistake in your calculations.

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have not told us how you are evaluating the intergrals. Without that bit of information there is no way we can hope to help you.

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4
    Thank you for your feedbacks,
    1. R is constant and I expect that the integrals should be the same but they are not.
    2. I do not know what integration method is used. This is a tester connected to a circuit we can enter the function that we want to evaluate, with limits of integration.
    I have been thinking if we use spline then difference between the two way of integration may come from approximation using (v(t)/R) all the way instead of just multiplying (1/R) at the end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook