1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Methods vs Differential Equations

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in computer science program and I have an urgent feeling that I need better exposure to math. I have taken Discrete Math, Calculus i, ii, iii and I've independently studied linear algebra. I guess my concern is lack of differential equations and numerical methods. In your experience, what jobs with computer science orientation require knowledge of numerical methods and differential equations?

Thanks,

Monte

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    both of those are related to engineering

4. Dec 28, 2011 #3
    Ok but which one is better for computer science major?

5. Dec 28, 2011 #4
    probably numerical methods, since you would be using a computer / algorithms to approximate solutions to certain types of problems

6. Dec 28, 2011 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Numerical methods is inevitably going to be closer to programming, and may well involve programming.

You're talking about jobs that typically go to scientists and engineers who have a bit of a background in computer science. It's pretty rare for those jobs to go to computer science majors. If you are applying for such jobs, you had better hope that the automated filtering software has ways for you to identify keywords that will keep your resume from being filed circularly.

7. Dec 28, 2011 #6
    What's wrong with doing both? Does it cost you a fortune to do both?
    If you think there is a chance that in the future you will not be selected for the job because you lack experience in one of these fields, then play it safe and do both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook