1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Sedov-Taylor (blast-wave) solution

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was asked to model the blast-wave of an explosion using Sedov's solution in MATLAB, but I'm not really sure where to begin. Most of the programming I have done has been

Code (Text):

x=linspace(1,1000,1000);
    for i=1:1000
         y(i)=x(i)^2;
    end

type of code, and this one seems a lot more complex (I found a version of this code in C [sorta familiar with C, to some extent all object oriented languages are the same] which is long and has many functions in it which leads me to the 'complex' conclusion here).

Any suggestions on where to begin? If not, any suggestions on a better book than Sedov's Similarity and Dimensional Methods in Mechanics to get me started? Or maybe both?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    \frac{r}{r_2}=\left[\frac{(\nu+2)(\gamma+1)}{4}V\right]^{-2/(2+\nu)}\left[\frac{\gamma+1}{\gamma-1}\left(\frac{(\nu+2)\gamma}{2}V-1\right)\right]^{-\alpha_2}\left[\frac{(\nu+2)(\gamma+1)}{(\nu+2)(\gamma+1)-2[2+\nu(\gamma-1)]}\left(1-\frac{2+\nu(\gamma-1)}{2}V\right)\right]^{-\alpha_1}
    [/tex]
    and a couple others

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure where to begin, so not much of a solution attempt can exist. I did try using the equation above and changing V from its lower bound of [itex]2/([\nu+2]\gamma)[/itex] to its upper bound of [itex]4/((\nu+2)(\gamma+1))[/itex] but that gave me bad data.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook