Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Numerical Sedov-Taylor (blast-wave) solution

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was asked to model the blast-wave of an explosion using Sedov's solution in MATLAB, but I'm not really sure where to begin. Most of the programming I have done has been

Code (Text):

x=linspace(1,1000,1000);
    for i=1:1000
         y(i)=x(i)^2;
    end

type of code, and this one seems a lot more complex (I found a version of this code in C [sorta familiar with C, to some extent all object oriented languages are the same] which is long and has many functions in it which leads me to the 'complex' conclusion here).

Any suggestions on where to begin? If not, any suggestions on a better book than Sedov's Similarity and Dimensional Methods in Mechanics to get me started? Or maybe both?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    \frac{r}{r_2}=\left[\frac{(\nu+2)(\gamma+1)}{4}V\right]^{-2/(2+\nu)}\left[\frac{\gamma+1}{\gamma-1}\left(\frac{(\nu+2)\gamma}{2}V-1\right)\right]^{-\alpha_2}\left[\frac{(\nu+2)(\gamma+1)}{(\nu+2)(\gamma+1)-2[2+\nu(\gamma-1)]}\left(1-\frac{2+\nu(\gamma-1)}{2}V\right)\right]^{-\alpha_1}
    [/tex]
    and a couple others

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure where to begin, so not much of a solution attempt can exist. I did try using the equation above and changing V from its lower bound of [itex]2/([\nu+2]\gamma)[/itex] to its upper bound of [itex]4/((\nu+2)(\gamma+1))[/itex] but that gave me bad data.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook