NYU Physics Grad School Acceptance Rate for Prospective Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of getting into NYU's graduate program in physics and the potential for receiving a stipend and tuition waiver. The speaker also mentions the rankings of various schools, with Columbia being the most competitive and CUNY being the least competitive. The speaker also notes that NYU and Stony Brook are both good physics schools, while CUNY is not as highly ranked.
Mr.Watson
How hard is it to get into? I would think that it isn't as competitive as Columbia university but does anyone what is acceptance rate for NYU grad school in physics?

If I can ace perfect 4.0 gpa from european university+good scores in PGRe+little undergraduate research do I have good change to get into?

Physics news on Phys.org
they'd be embracing you with open arms as long as your going to pay the tuition imho

Latarian said:
they'd be embracing you with open arms as long as your going to pay the tuition imho

Tuition? I was under impression that everyone in US grad school would get somekind of salary, was I wrong? Or is it really possible that instead of them paying to you, you could end up paying to them?

If you get accepted into the PhD program, you would get a stipend and tuition waver, so you wouldn't be paying. The stipend is enough to live on, but New York is expensive, so you wouldn't be living in luxury. It's a good school, but easier to get into than a top school like Columbia, as you said. I don't know the acceptance ratio. If I recall correctly, the physics PhD program is ranked about #25 in the US, so a good second-tier school. If you do what you said, I think you have a good chance to get in.

What about CUNY or Stony Brook? How hard they are to get into compared to NYU? And are they good programs or not?

I looked into this about 3 years ago, and at that time the schools you are talking about were ranked as follows (US News and World Report ranking - take it as you will)

School Overall ranking Physics Dept ranking
Columbia 8 11
NYU 33 42
Stony Brook 96 23
CUNY >100 68

My experience: NYU and Stony Brook are both good physics schools - CUNY less so.

Related to NYU Physics Grad School Acceptance Rate for Prospective Students

1. What are the prerequisites for applying to NYU's Physics Graduate School?

The prerequisites for applying to NYU's Physics Graduate School include a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a competitive GPA, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require specific coursework in mathematics and physics.

2. What are the research opportunities available at NYU's Physics Graduate School?

NYU's Physics Graduate School offers a wide range of research opportunities in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, and biophysics. Students have the opportunity to work with world-renowned faculty and participate in cutting-edge research projects.

3. What is the average time to completion for a graduate degree in physics at NYU?

The average time to completion for a graduate degree in physics at NYU is around 5-6 years. This can vary depending on the program and the individual student's progress. Some programs may also offer the option for an accelerated degree track.

4. What financial aid options are available for graduate students at NYU's Physics Graduate School?

NYU's Physics Graduate School offers a variety of financial aid options, including fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. These opportunities may cover tuition, provide a stipend, or both. Students are also encouraged to apply for external funding sources.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates from NYU's Physics Graduate School?

Graduates from NYU's Physics Graduate School are well-prepared for a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, industry, and national laboratories. Many graduates also go on to pursue careers in fields such as data science, finance, and engineering.