Is it Worth Repeating Undergrad for a Better GPA and Top Grad School Acceptance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter betelgeuse91
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Undergrad
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
betelgeuse91
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
I'm a 4th year student in a university in Canada, studying pure math. My GPA so far is barely about 3.0/4.0. I was young and totally screwed my undergraduate years. I have planned to go to grad school right after I graduate, but these days I feel so regretful about my GPA that even makes me want to repeat it again in some other university(maybe in some other program too.)

With my GPA, I will end up with getting into very minor graduate school. But if I spend 4 more years for another undergraduate program, high GPA is almost guaranteed(which also suggests that I could get into top grad schools.)

As my ultimate academic goal is being a professional mathematician, receiving education from well-known institution seems very important to me. But I still wonder if it is worth another 4 years of my life and the money it costs.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
betelgeuse91 said:
I'm a 4th year student in a university in Canada, studying pure math. My GPA so far is barely about 3.0/4.0. I was young and totally screwed my undergraduate years. I have planned to go to grad school right after I graduate, but these days I feel so regretful about my GPA that even makes me want to repeat it again in some other university(maybe in some other program too.)

With my GPA, I will end up with getting into very minor graduate school. But if I spend 4 more years for another undergraduate program, high GPA is almost guaranteed(which also suggests that I could get into top grad schools.)

As my ultimate academic goal is being a professional mathematician, receiving education from well-known institution seems very important to me. But I still wonder if it is worth another 4 years of my life and the money it costs.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Don't repeat unless you are planning a different major. Stand by your GPA and boost your application in other areas.

BiP
 
betelgeuse91 said:
With my GPA, I will end up with getting into very minor graduate school. But if I spend 4 more years for another undergraduate program, high GPA is almost guaranteed(which also suggests that I could get into top grad schools.)
I doubt it suggests you'd get into a top grad school. Graduate committees are not robots. Of course you'll get a high GPA if you are taking every class a 2nd time.