Is it Worth Repeating Undergrad for a Better GPA and Top Grad School Acceptance?

• Thread starter betelgeuse91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary: However, some committees may not be impressed. Spending 4 more years at a lower level will not help your case.
betelgeuse91
I'm a 4th year student in a university in Canada, studying pure math. My GPA so far is barely about 3.0/4.0. I was young and totally screwed my undergraduate years. I have planned to go to grad school right after I graduate, but these days I feel so regretful about my GPA that even makes me want to repeat it again in some other university(maybe in some other program too.)

With my GPA, I will end up with getting into very minor graduate school. But if I spend 4 more years for another undergraduate program, high GPA is almost guaranteed(which also suggests that I could get into top grad schools.)

As my ultimate academic goal is being a professional mathematician, receiving education from well-known institution seems very important to me. But I still wonder if it is worth another 4 years of my life and the money it costs.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
betelgeuse91 said:
I'm a 4th year student in a university in Canada, studying pure math. My GPA so far is barely about 3.0/4.0. I was young and totally screwed my undergraduate years. I have planned to go to grad school right after I graduate, but these days I feel so regretful about my GPA that even makes me want to repeat it again in some other university(maybe in some other program too.)

With my GPA, I will end up with getting into very minor graduate school. But if I spend 4 more years for another undergraduate program, high GPA is almost guaranteed(which also suggests that I could get into top grad schools.)

As my ultimate academic goal is being a professional mathematician, receiving education from well-known institution seems very important to me. But I still wonder if it is worth another 4 years of my life and the money it costs.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Don't repeat unless you are planning a different major. Stand by your GPA and boost your application in other areas.

BiP

betelgeuse91 said:
I doubt it suggests you'd get into a top grad school. Graduate committees are not robots. Of course you'll get a high GPA if you are taking every class a 2nd time.

1. Should I do my undergrad degree again?

This is a common question among individuals who feel dissatisfied with their current undergraduate degree or who are considering a career change. Ultimately, the decision to pursue your undergraduate degree again depends on your personal goals and circumstances.

2. Will doing my undergrad degree again help me get a better job?

While having a higher education level can make you a more competitive candidate for certain jobs, it is not a guarantee for a better job. Other factors such as work experience, skills, and networking can also play a significant role in career advancement.

3. Can I transfer credits from my previous undergrad degree if I do it again?

In most cases, universities will allow you to transfer credits from your previous undergraduate degree if the courses are similar. However, the number of credits that can be transferred may vary depending on the institution's policies.

4. How will repeating my undergrad degree affect my financial situation?

Repeating your undergraduate degree can be a significant financial commitment. You may have to pay for tuition, textbooks, and other expenses once again. It is important to consider the potential impact on your finances before making a decision.

5. Is it worth the time and effort to do my undergrad degree again?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on your personal goals and motivations. If you feel that repeating your undergraduate degree will help you achieve your desired career path or improve your knowledge and skills, then it may be worth the time and effort. However, if you are simply looking for a change without a clear goal in mind, it may be better to explore other options.