1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    Background: I'm a senior at a large state university studying electrical engineering, and I will graduate in May. Currently, my GPA stands at 3.08. I am on track for a 4.0 this semester, which includes a graduate-level course in digital communications systems. By the time I graduate, I should be sitting around 3.3 overall, with perhaps a 3.6 or better over my final 60 credits. I interned this past summer at an electro-optics company, and I am currently instructing a circuits and systems lab course which I will instruct again in the spring.

I received my revised-GRE score report yesterday. I scored 167Q/163V (95th %ile and 93rd %ile, respectively) with an abysmal - though uncharacteristic - 3.5 (29 %ile) writing score.

I am trying to figure out which tier of graduate schools would give me a realistic shot at acceptance. My question is whether it is worth my effort and my money to apply to highly-ranked programs like UCSD, GA Tech, etc. I would appreciate any and all advice, as my engineering adviser has proven unhelpful during my visits.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know about EE, but in physics, the general test is essentially ignored. Its the subject test that people look at.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    On a side note, for Physics or Math grad school, is it even worth writing the general GRE?

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4
    There is no subject test for EE, just the general GRE.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    It is typically a requirement, yeah. One math professor told me that it isn't even given a second thought unless they're really bad, and that the only reason they require it is because the graduate school forces them too - otherwise they would only ask for the math GRE (this may not be the universal reason but it is true at at least one school)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook