Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood

In summary, the speaker is a senior electrical engineering student who will graduate in May with a 3.08 GPA. They are on track for a 4.0 this semester and have interned at an electro-optics company. They are wondering which tier of graduate schools they should apply to and if it is worth it to apply to highly-ranked programs like UCSD and GA Tech. They also question if the general GRE is necessary for Physics or Math grad school. Some professors believe it is not important, while it is still a requirement.
hugheyst
Background: I'm a senior at a large state university studying electrical engineering, and I will graduate in May. Currently, my GPA stands at 3.08. I am on track for a 4.0 this semester, which includes a graduate-level course in digital communications systems. By the time I graduate, I should be sitting around 3.3 overall, with perhaps a 3.6 or better over my final 60 credits. I interned this past summer at an electro-optics company, and I am currently instructing a circuits and systems lab course which I will instruct again in the spring.

I received my revised-GRE score report yesterday. I scored 167Q/163V (95th %ile and 93rd %ile, respectively) with an abysmal - though uncharacteristic - 3.5 (29 %ile) writing score.

I am trying to figure out which tier of graduate schools would give me a realistic shot at acceptance. My question is whether it is worth my effort and my money to apply to highly-ranked programs like UCSD, GA Tech, etc. I would appreciate any and all advice, as my engineering adviser has proven unhelpful during my visits.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about EE, but in physics, the general test is essentially ignored. Its the subject test that people look at.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know about EE, but in physics, the general test is essentially ignored. Its the subject test that people look at.

On a side note, for Physics or Math grad school, is it even worth writing the general GRE?

There is no subject test for EE, just the general GRE.

Kindayr said:
On a side note, for Physics or Math grad school, is it even worth writing the general GRE?

It is typically a requirement, yeah. One math professor told me that it isn't even given a second thought unless they're really bad, and that the only reason they require it is because the graduate school forces them too - otherwise they would only ask for the math GRE (this may not be the universal reason but it is true at at least one school)

1. What is a "Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood"?

A "Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood" refers to the evaluation of an individual's chances of being accepted into graduate school based on their GRE scores and other factors such as their undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and research experience. It is a way to determine the likelihood of being admitted to a specific graduate program.

2. How is the "Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood" conducted?

The assessment is usually conducted by the admissions committee of the graduate program. They will review all the application materials, including the GRE scores, and compare them to the average scores of admitted students in previous years. They will also consider other factors such as the applicant's academic background, research experience, and letters of recommendation to determine their overall potential for success in the program.

3. Are GRE scores the only factor considered in the assessment?

No, GRE scores are just one of the many factors considered in the assessment. Admissions committees also take into account the applicant's undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and research experience. These factors give a more holistic view of the applicant's potential for success in graduate school.

4. Can an individual improve their "Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood"?

While GRE scores are an important factor, they are not the only determining factor in the assessment. An individual can improve their likelihood of being accepted into graduate school by having a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and compelling letters of recommendation. It is also important to have a well-written personal statement that showcases the individual's passion and motivation for pursuing graduate studies.

5. Is the "Post-GRE assessment of grad school acceptance likelihood" a guarantee of acceptance?

No, the assessment is not a guarantee of acceptance. It is simply an evaluation of an individual's chances of being accepted into graduate school based on their application materials. Admissions decisions also depend on the number of applicants, available spots in the program, and the overall competitiveness of the applicant pool.