Oakland/East Bay weather vs. Seattle

  • Thread starter Thread starter monix.denix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weather
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
monix.denix
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Today's weather in Seattle is amazing! Can anyone currently living in Seattle give me an idea as to how often these type days (few or no clouds, nice blue sky, moderate temps), occur in the East Bay part of the San Francisco metro area?

I am considering a move to that area because of a job opportunity in San Francisco. My other half and I have come to the conclusion that we are most likely to own a home in that area if it is in the Berkeley or Oakland area (generally). Without turning this discussion into one of real estate, and realizing that where I may be working in San Francisco has a sort of unique weather situation of its own, what is East Bay weather like? Are there more clear days throughout the year as compared to Seattle? How are the temps, pretty moderate like Seattle from what I can see? Are there weeks of seemingly unbreakable clouds like there are here in the winter (lately spring, summer and fall too).

I don't need this type of weather everyday, heck, I grew up in New Jersey with cold and depressing winters. I do miss the fact that even in New Jersey during the winter there were days with some sun. I'm hoping the East Bay area may give me some of that back. I have had difficulty adjusting to the cloudy Seattle weather, even after four years of being here.

One last unrelated question, how green and lush is the East Bay area? I'm into landscaping, nice gardens and lush greenery. Am I going to be giving this up? It's been a few years since I've visited and I can't remember too well.

Thanks!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Oakland is hot and dry in the summer. Frost is rare. Many things grow well there.

But um, this is the Washington forum. Maybe you should have this post moved to the California forum. Seattle climate does not resemble Oakland climate.

________________
Landscape Seattle
 
From the East Bay here... Temps are equally moderate, but we don't get as much rain as you guys do... Summer weather can range from 70s-90s depending on where you are in the Bay Area. If you live closer to San Francisco, you'd see fog almost every day during the winter, but the rest of the East Bay is relatively mild...

Lush greenery? I'd say there are some great parks in the Bay Area... Golden Gate Park in SF is amazing all year long, the hills can be very dry during the summer, but then again it just hasn't rained in a while here...
 
Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell does this have to do with engineering?
 
Topher925 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell does this have to do with engineering?
Loads! We need to know where it's best to take our 3-hour lunch breaks!