Object Displacement from one point in space to another.

In summary, displacement is always equal to or greater than the distance traveled by an object from one point in space to another. This is because displacement is a straight line between two points, while distance traveled can include any type of path or route.
CaptFormal

Homework Statement

An object goes from one point in space to another. After it arrives at its destination, its displacement is _________________ than the distance it traveled.

A) either greater than or equal to
B) always greater than
C) always equal to
D) either smaller than or equal to
E) always smaller than
F) either smaller or larger

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I thought that the displacement either smaller or larger than the distance traveled but I did not get this problem correct on my homework. Now that I am thinking about it more, I realize that displacement is the amount of movement by an object in a particular direction. So, would it instead be answer (C) always equal to? I just need this for verification purposes to make sure that my knowledge in this area is accurate. Any assistance on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint. As far as we know, the object could have traveled from its initial point to its final point along a curved line. Hypothetically, it could have weaved around all willy-nilly in some sort of weird maze-like swirly, spiral path. The distance it traveled is the overall length of that curly path (imagine starting from home, and riding a bicycle all around town, and ending up at your neighbor's house. You ended up pretty close to home, but the distance traveled for that bicycle ride was quite far). [Edit: Or, as far as we know it might have went straight to its destination.]

Displacement, on the other hand is a vector, and is a straight line between two points. It matters not how something got from its initial point to its final point, in terms of displacement.

1. How is object displacement measured?

Object displacement is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or feet. It can be measured using tools such as rulers, measuring tapes, or laser distance meters.

2. What factors affect object displacement?

Object displacement can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and the surface on which the object is moving. Other factors like air resistance, friction, and gravity can also play a role in object displacement.

3. Can an object be displaced without a force acting on it?

No, according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object will not change its state of motion unless a force acts on it. This means that an object cannot be displaced without a force acting on it.

4. How does displacement differ from distance?

Displacement refers to the straight-line distance between an object's starting point and ending point, while distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by the object. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

5. What are some real-life examples of object displacement?

Object displacement occurs in many everyday situations, such as a car moving from one location to another, a ball rolling down a hill, or a person walking from one room to another. It also occurs on a larger scale, such as an airplane traveling from one city to another or a planet orbiting around the sun.