1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Object in elliptical orbit around another object

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a science fiction story, humans have built a large spherical spaceship for an interstellar journey of many generations; they have christened their ship Big Bird.

The mass of Big Bird is 7.496×1011 kg (the mass of an aircraft carrier is about 10^8 kg). Most of Big Bird's journey takes place at constant speed through the vacuum of interstellar space.

Big Bird is accompanied on its journey by a small satellite which is held in orbit about Big Bird solely by Big Bird's gravitational attraction. The satellite is called Little Bird and has a mass of 1000 kg.

Little Bird is in an elliptical orbit about Big Bird; the distance of closest approach is 5 km and the greatest separation distance is 40 km.

Find the difference in total mechanical energy for the system; i.e. mechanical energy at maximum separation minus mechanical energy at closest approach.

2. Relevant equations

E = K + U

K = 1/2mv2

U = -Gmm/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I am a little confused on this problem. i only seem to know the equation for V for a circular orbit so i am not sure how to go about this problem.

would i maybe do this mL = mass of little bird and mB = mass of big bird

1/2mLv2 + -GmBmL / r1 - [1/2mv2 + -GmBmL / r2 ]

r1 = 40,000 m
    r2 = 5,000 m

Thanks for any suggestions on what to do cause i am completely lost on how to go about this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Mechanical energy should be conserved because no forces are acting on the system, shouldn't it?

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    Yes it should be conserved.

Am i even on the right track to find the difference in total mechanical energy for the system?

I am a little confused on what equations to use i guess.

I thought i should use:

K1 + U1 - (K + U)

Where K1 and U1 are:

1/2mLv2 and GmBmL / r

r = 40,000 m

K and U are:

1/2mLv2 and GmBmL / r

r = 5000 m

and v can be found using GmB / r

r = 40,000 for the K1 and r = 5000 for K

Am i on the right track with these equations and using the right "r" for each equation or am i not even close?

Thank you

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook