1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object on an incline with friction

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    An object of mass 3 kg lies on a rough plane inclined at 45 degree to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction is 0.2 and a force of 10 N acts at 30 degree to the object. Calculate the friction. According to the booklet the answer is 3.24 N

My work

F = u R

Normal reaction = 10 sin 30 + 30 cos 45 = 26.2

U = 0.2 x 26.2 = 5.24 N

I am confused HELPPPPPP.. where is the fault, is there something that i have not considered
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Mechanics

What is the 30 degrees measured relative to? Is it relative to the plane the block is sitting on or relative to the horizontal?
  4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

It is relative to the block(object)
  5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

So you have a block sitting on a slope. Is the block moving?
  6. Sep 13, 2010 #5

Your normal reaction has a sign error. Also that cos 45 should be sin 45. I know numerically they are the same thing, but for what it actually represents, it should be sin.

I'll give you a hint, think about what the normal force is conceptually, not mathematically
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook